Tuesday, October 6, 2015

HONEY GLAZED CARROTS

When our church had a picnic and everyone had to bring a side dish (the BBQ small group smoked the meat - yum-my!), I wanted to take something that I didn't figure everyone else would bring. I thought there would be enough baked beans, potato salad, etc. So I decided to take some carrots. 

Yes, carrots. I remembered seeing a recipe just a few days before for glazed carrots. I could take them in my West Bend Penguin Hot and Cold Server. Most people think they are just an ice bucket.... but it keeps things hot also, didn't you know? I just had to go buy some carrots since I had everything else.

I saw the recipe in my The Farmhouse Kitchen cookbook. It is a cookbook from the Amish Community in Greenville, PA. Mathias & Naomi Mast contributed the recipe. I made more than the recipe called for and increased the amounts, but I will just give it to you as it is in the cookbook.



HONEY GLAZED CARROTS

1-1/4     lb. carrots
3          tablespoons butter
2          tablespoons honey
1           tablespoon brown sugar or maple syrup (I used the latter.)


Cook the carrots in water with salt til soft. (I actually steamed mine.)


Melt the butter in a skillet. 


Stir in honey and brown sugar or maple syrup.

Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.


Add carrots and toss gently.







Serves 4 - 6.

Here are mine in my penguin ice bucket.

When I was going through the line getting my food, I heard a mother say, "Oh good, carrots." as she was fixing a plate for her child. They were pretty good. They were also all gone when the picnic was over.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know I was Amish, LOL. I came up with this idea when my son was born and he still loves these carrots. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I often find recipes in my Amish cookbooks that I have found in other non-Amish cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I often find recipes in my Amish cookbooks that I have found in other non-Amish cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done a similar thing since my kids came along (quite a long time ago)--I just steam or boil the carrots until done, drain and then add a tablespoon or so of butter, a couple tablespoons of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon. Stir and put into serving dish. My kids were known among their cousins as the ones who loved carrots any way you made them. My "baby" is 54 now, and still likes carrots this way.

    ReplyDelete