Monday, November 2, 2015

PARTY MIXES, ANYONE?

Today I am sharing not one, not two, but three different party mix recipes. One from Phyllis Pellman Good and Kate Good ( Mennonite Recipes from the Shenandoah Valley ) called simply Party Mix from Helen M. Peachey of Harisonburg, VA, one from Gooseberry Patch ( 101 Homestyle Favorites ) called Party Nibblers from Linda Mills of Pasadena, MD, and one from my friend Sue called Sweet & Salty Snack Mix .

Last Monday when the Farkle group met at Sue's house for a fun afternoon, she served two things that she was willing to share the recipe with me to share with you ... a marvelous apple cake and a party mix. I will be sharing the cake later this week. The party mix was so good. It was hard not to eat a lot of it, but I saw the apple cake and knew I had to save room for it. 

Originally I planned to just share Sue's recipe with you, but our Sunday school class, The Bible Boomers, had a Halloween party at Friends Karen and Brian's house Friday night and everyone was asked to bring an appetizer or a dessert. When I was trying to decide what to take, I remembered how good Sue's party mix was. Knowing everyone at the party would be watching the third game of the World Series, I decided a party mix would be good to have on hand to enjoy during the game.

I tired the Gooseberry Patch recipe first and then decided to try a different recipe (since my husband told me I needed to make more) that was very similar but a little different. After I finished the second one, I decided to make Sue's mix and take all three to the party.



PARTY NIBBLERS (Linda Mills)

1       cup cashews
1       cup peanuts
1       cup bite-size cheese crackers
1       cup bite-size Wheat Chex cereal (I used corn)
1       cup bite-size Rice Chex cereal
1       cup mini pretzels
2      tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/3   cup butter, melted
1       teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2   teaspoon celery salt
1/2   teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine nuts, crackers, cereals, and pretzels in a large bowl; mix well and set aside.

Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl; pour over mix, tossing to coat.

Spread in an ungreased 15 x 10 - inch jelly-roll pan.

Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, stirring often. (I stirred every 4 minutes and did bake for the full 20 minutes.)

Cool completely; store in an airtight container.


* * * * * * *


PARTY MIX (Helen M. Peachey)

1/3      cup margarine
2         drops Tabasco sauce (I used Habanero Hot Sauce)
2          tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4       teaspoon garlic salt or garlic powder (I used the latter.)
1/4       teaspoon salt
1/2       teaspoon celery salt
2          cups Wheat Chex
2          cups Corn Chex
1/2       cup nuts - peanuts, cashews, or pecans

Variation: Mix together your choice of cereals, pretzels, crackers, and nuts to make 5 cups. (I used 1 cup each: Corn Chex, Rice Chex, pretzels, cheese crackers, and nuts)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Melt margarine in roasting pan. Stir in sauces and salt.

Add cereals and nuts. (I mixed these together in a big bowl first.) Mix until all pieces are coated.

Bake for 30 minutes stirring every 7 - 8 minutes.

Let cool before packaging in airtight containers.


* * * * * * *


SUE'S SWEET & SALTY SNACK MIX

4       cups corn Bugles snacks
4       cups Corn or Rice Chex cereal
1        cup pretzel twists
1        cup pecan halves
3/4   cup brown sugar, packed
1/2    cup butter
3       tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2    teaspoon salt
1        teaspoon vanilla
1/2    teaspoon baking soda
1        14 - oz bag of candy coated chocolate pieces

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a large roasitng pan with non-stick spray.

Combine the Bugles, cereals, pretzels, and nuts in prepared pan; set aside. (I used 4 cups of the corn Chex cereal and 4 cups of Rice Chex cereal since I didn't have the Bugles.)

In a 2 quart saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil.

Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and baking soda.

Pour syrup mixture over the cereal mixture in pan; toss to coat evenly.

Bake for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until coating is set.

Remove from the oven, stir.

Spread mixture onto waxed paper covered cookie sheet. Cool 5 minutes.

Stir in chocolate candies. Cool completely; break into pieces.

Store in air-tight container for up to 1 week.

Sue suggested using different colored candy coated chocolate pieces for different events and holidays. (I used a bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Pieces since they were orange, yellow, and brown - fall colors.)

Here is a picture I took of Sue's mix:







All three mixes were well received at the Halloween party. Several people told me they liked the Amish Party Mix the best and it was the most eaten. Now you can have fun deciding which one you like the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment