Monday, November 30, 2015

AMISH "PECAN" PIE

I saw this recipe on Kevin Williams' newsletter at amish365.com . It sounded like something that might work with my family as both sons have children who have nut allergies. Because of the allergies, they just avoid nuts in the house. I love pecan pie. My mother always made the bestest pecan pie. So....I can't imagine not being able to enjoy pecan pie especially at the holidays. Reviews indicated that it tasted like real pecan pie. 

Well, that sold me. I decided to give it a try. I made it to have in case another dessert I had made didn't turn out as good as I expected. (I do want to make something that will be "out-of-this-world" whenever I have friends over.)

As it turned out, both pies were exceptional .... everyone want to try a little of each. The other pie was Emma Yoder's Angel Cream Pie. It was so easy and has become one of my favorite pies. I enjoyed when Friend Luci said she liked the "Pecan" pie better than real pecan pie. That's what someone had said on Kevin's newsletter.

You might find this recipe in Amish cookbooks as Oatmeal Pie as that's what it really is, but I like the name Amish "Pecan" Pie.



AMISH "PECAN" PIE

1/2       cup unsalted butter
1/4       cup packed brown sugar
2          eggs
3/4      cup light corn syrup
3/4      cup rolled oats

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


Combine the melted (or softened) butter, sugar, and eggs; blend well.


Add the corn syrup and oats; blending well.


Pour into unbaked pie crust.




Bake 1 hour.


Cool completely on wire rack.





Serve at room temperature.



No comments:

Post a Comment