Thursday, November 5, 2015

PUMPKIN WALNUT COOKIES

On Monday I shared three different party mixes I made and took to the Sunday school's Halloween party. I also decided to make some cookies. 

These Pumpkin Walnut Cookies's recipe came from a magazine. I didn't write which magazine it was on the recipe card. The first time I made the cookies were in October, 1982 according to the date written on the back of the card. That meant my younger son Patrick was 2 months old. Industrious!

I had some black walnuts and decided to use them this time when I made the cookies. They definitely give the cookies a distinctive taste. 



PUMPKIN WALNUT COOKIES

1/2      cup butter
1-1/2   cup brown sugar, packed
2         large eggs
1          cup canned pumpkin
1          teaspoon vanilla
1          teaspoon grated lemon peel 
1          teaspoon lemon juice
2-1/2   cups sifted all - purpose flour (sift before you measure it)
3         teaspoons baking powder
1          teaspoon salt
1-1/2   teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
1/4      teaspoon ginger
1          cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.

Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. 

Beat in eggs, one at a time.

Stir in pumpkin, vanilla, lemon peel and juice.

Resift the flour with the baking powder, salt, and spices.

Blend into the butter mixture.

Stir in the walnuts.

Drop by tablespoonfuls on baking sheets 2 - inches apart.

Bake for 12 - 14 minutes. (I baked mine for 12 minutes.)

Remove immediately and cool on wire rack.

Decorate with a butter cream frosting. (I added red and yellow food coloring to make orange frosting.)

*HOMEMADE PUMPKIN PIE SPICE

My cousin Marie sent me this recipe for making your own pumpkin pie spice. (It is so expensive in the stores and you can't always find it.) Since I was out, I decided to try her recipe. Well, it worked great!



HOMEMADE PUMPKIN PIE SPICE

1    teaspoon pumpkin pie spice =

1/2       teaspoon cinnamon (2 teaspoons)
1/4       teaspoon ginger (1 teaspoon)
1/8       teaspoon allspice (1/2 teaspoon)
1/8       teaspoon nutmeg (1/2 teaspoon)

Sift several times these ingredients to get a good blend.

I mixed up about 4 teaspoonfuls and am storing it in the pumpkin pie spice container I had emptied. I recommend shaking it before measuring out any. Making this amount is easier to measure especially if you don't have a 1/8 teaspoon measure. Amount for 4 teaspoonfuls is in parentheses for each item.

No comments:

Post a Comment