Tuesday, November 24, 2015

EMMA YODER'S ANGEL CREAM PIE

This pie should be called Angel Dream Pie because it tasty so dreamy, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The last time I went to the library, I wanted to find something to read but didn't have any ideas. I just decided to walk down the isle until I saw something that looked interesting. I started with the A's and didn't get too far when the word "Quilting" caught my eye in the title of a book. I do enjoy reading novels where the characters are quilting or knitting. The novel was called The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club by Wanda E. Brunstetter and takes place in Shipshewana, In. Emma, a widow, decides to teach quilting lessons to help her be self-sufficient. Her children had been helping her out financially, but they all had large families and she knew they didn't really have the extra money they gave. She ends up with 6 unlikely men and women, all with different problems. How they end up all coming together with changed lives makes an interesting read.

In the story, Emma serves them Angel Cream Pie several times for dessert. Of course the characters rave over it.When I finished the book to my surprise....there was the recipe in the back of the book. (I had already checked my Amish cookbooks for it and couldn't find one with that name.)

When the Farkle group was meeting at my house yesterday, I decided I would give it a try. I would have liked a little more information about whether the pie should be made early and refrigerated, but Wanda didn't say. I made it earlier in the morning so it would at least be cooled completely.

Well, the first sign that it was going to be a hit was when the first slice came out perfectly. (Don't you just hate to make a pie and then the slice falls apart when you try to serve it?!) Its taste was even more exciting.

Because of this blog, I don't repeat a lot of desserts I make, but this one I definitely will be making again.


EMMA YODER'S ANGEL CREAM PIE

1       cup half-and-half
1       cup heavy whipping cream
1/2   cup sugar
1/8   teaspoon salt
2      tablespoons (slightly rounded) flour
1       teaspoon vanilla
2      egg whites, stiffly beaten
1       (9-inch) unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

In a saucepan, combine the half-and-half and whipping cream. Warm only slightly. (Those bubbles around the edges are from stirring not boiling.)

Remove from heat and add, beating with a whisk, the sugar, salt, and flour.

I combined the sugar, salt, and flour together in a small bowl.

(Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until stiff.)

Add the vanilla and fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.

Pour into pie shell.

Bake for 45 minutes or until filling is a little shaky. (I did bake mine the full 45 minutes.)

Cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment