Sunday, November 25, 2012

MENU FOR OUR BLACK FRIDAY THANKSGIVING

As promised here is my menu for our Black Friday Thanksgiving with our son Patrick and his family.  I made the salad on Thursday even though it will set up in 4 hours.  If I had made any pies as I used to, I would have made them also on Thursday.  

When I asked Patrick what dessert he wanted, he said "Apple Crisp."  I don't know why I asked, he always has the same answer.  He said he had leftover pumpkin pie from their Thursday Thanksgiving dinner he could bring.  So I didn't make my husband's favorite Honey Pumpkin Pie.  He doesn't like cloves and I found this recipe a number of years ago that doesn't call for cloves and have been making it ever since.  It is denser than traditional pumpkin pie.  I will share that recipe sometime soon.

You can find the recipes either below the list or click on the item.  I didn't include as many pictures even though I took them to keep the post shorter.


MENU

FESTIVE CRANBERRY PINEAPPLE SALAD
CRANBERRY PORK TENDERLOIN
SWEET POTATO SOUFFLE
GREEN BEANS W/BACON AND RED POTATOES
WHOLE CRANBERRY SAUCE
BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
APPLE CRISP


CRANBERRY PORK TENDERLOIN

1     pork tenderloin (mine was 24-ozs)
1     can whole-berry cranberry sauce
1/2  cup orange juice
1/4  cup sugar
1     tablespoon brown sugar
1     teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 to 1/2  teaspoon ground cloves (I omitted because my husband doesn't like cloves)

2     tablespoons cornstarch
3     tablespoons cold water  

(Spray the pot with cooking spray for easy cleanup).  Place the tenderloin in a 3-quart slow cooker.  In a small bowl, combine the cranberry sauce, orange juice, sugars, mustard, and cloves.  Pour over the pork.  Cover and cook on low for 5 - 6 hours (I cooked mine 6 hours) or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F.

Remove pork and keep warm.  

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into cranberry mixture in the slow cooker.  Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes longer or until thickened.

Pour some over tenderloin and serve the remainder in a bowl if anyone wants to add more on their plate.

(I have secretly always been afraid to cook pork tenderloin...now that I have found this recipe from Taste of Home, I won't hesitate ever again. I can't believe I didn't take a picture of it on the platter.  I guess I wasn't thinking about my blog, but about getting the food on the table to eat. It was impressive looking when Patrick cut it into slices.  You will just have to trust me.)



SWEET POTATO SOUFFLE





3 - 6  yams (or sweet potatoes), peeled, cubed, cooked, and drained (I cooked 4 for about 30 minutes.  The potatoes will cook faster if you cut them in smaller cubes.)

1   stick butter (margarine works)

1/2  to 1   cup sugar (I usually just use 1/2 because it is sweet enough with the topping--in fact you could probably reduce it to 1/4 cup.  Stevia also works well.)

2   eggs

Combine the yams, butter, sugar, and eggs in mixing bowl and blend together completely on medium speed.  If it isn't soupy, add a little milk.  (I have never had to do this even though that is how the recipe is written.)

Put in sprayed 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.

Mix thoroughly in a small bowl:
1/2  cup brown sugar (not packed)
1/2  to  1 stick of softened butter ( I used only 1/2 cup margarine)
1/2  to  1 cup chopped nuts (I used 1/2 cup of pecans)

Spread carefully with a spoon over potatoes.  (I use two small ice tea spoons and carefully divide the topping to cover the top.  It will spread as it bakes.)

Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean  in a preheated 325 degree oven.  (The toothpick will be wet because of the topping, but there should not be any potatoes on it.) 

(This is a recipe that I got from a Southern friend Joyce in CA close to 25 years ago.  It was a family recipe of her husband Stephan.  I have never made a sweet potato casserole any other way than by this recipe since.  Even though Patrick said he had two different kinds of leftover sweet potatoes, I still made a smaller recipe.

   
GREEN BEANS WITH BACON AND RED POTATOES

1   16-ounce bag of frozen cut green beans
1/2  cup water
1   large red potato
2   strips of bacon cut into fourths
a few shakes of black pepper
a few shakes of minced garlic

Open the bag of frozen green beans and pour into sprayed Crock pot (for easy cleanup).  Add about 1/2 cup of water.  Cook on high for a couple of hours. Wash, peel, and cut the potato into cubes.  Add potato and uncooked bacon pieces to beans in Crock pot.  Add additional water to cover.  Add a few shakes of the pepper and minced garlic.  Continue cooking til beans and potatoes are done.  (Can you tell that this is my own original recipe?  I didn't add any salt as I figured the bacon would provide plenty.  I cooked the beans for probably 5 hours -while the pork was cooking in another Crock pot.  I cooked these in my small Crock pot that I got as a bonus when I brought my large one last year on Black Friday....I have since exchanged the large one with Patrick for their regular size one....I don't know quart sizes.  Madison loves green beans and Lori had non-sweet potatoes to enjoy.  The picture was taken after we finished eating and was clearing off the table, but I don't think they looked too bad.)



WHOLE CRANBERRY SAUCE

1   cup water
1   cup sugar
1   12-oz bag of whole cranberries

Combine water and sugar in medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Add the cranberries and return to a boil.  Reduce heat but continue to gently boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat.  Pour into serving bowl and cover cool.  Can refrigerate until ready to serve.  (I usually make mine so that it is still a little warm when served.  This recipe is the one on the package of Ocean Spray Cranberries)



BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

2     cups all-purpose flour (I like to use soft wheat flour.  Can also use whole wheat pastry flour for all of the flour or half)
3     teaspoon baking powder
1/2  teaspoon salt
1/4  teaspoon baking soda
1     scant teaspoon of sugar 
5     tablespoons all-vegetable shortening 
1     cup buttermilk
a little oil
additional flour

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and sugar twice.  Cut in the shortening until about pea size. (I always use my hand--it may be a little messy, but maybe that's why they are so good.)

Add the buttermilk all at once and combine.  (Once again I use my hand to combine it....this is really messy, but I get everything ready before I start so that way I don't have to clean a hand to get a glass out of the cabinet or pour  oil in a plate to pat the cut biscuits in.)

On a floured surface (I use my large tempered glass cutting board...the dough doesn't stick to it.) knead the dough (adding additional flour if necessary) only a couple of times to make smooth. ( I once heard that the secret to a good biscuit was not kneading it to death...so I just knead it a couple of time and pat it smooth.)

Pat out with your hand to about 1/2 inch thickness.  Cut biscuits into desired size.  (I use a glass that fits perfectly in my iron biscuit pan to cut my biscuits.  The pan holds 7 biscuits and this recipe will make 7 or sometimes 8 if I pat the dough out thinner.  I think I got my pan at Cracker Barrel...I know they sell them.  Greatest invention!  I like a biscuit that has a crust all the way around.)

Pat the biscuit on both sides in a little oil that you poured into a plate before putting in the pan.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or til golden brown. (I always set the timer for 12 minutes, look at them, and then cook for 3 more minutes.)

Serve hot and pass the butter or margarine.


APPLE CRISP 
This link takes you to my post for Fresh Peach Crisp.  At the end of the recipe I indicate that it works well with apples, too.  I used two large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cut with my apple corer/slicer and then cut each "slice" in half or 4 cups for the recipe.  I could have easily used another apple to have more apple.  Either way it is very, very good.  Patrick took some home for leftovers but my husband wouldn't let him take all of it.  I served it in my little apple dishes with a scoop of ice cream.

FESTIVE CRANBERRY - PINEAPPLE SALAD  



I hope you will try some of my recipes.  If you do, I would love to hear what you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment