Friday, November 23, 2012

FESTIVE CRANBERRY PINEAPPLE SALAD

Today is Black Friday, the busiest shopping day of the year (according to the TV) and I stayed at home all day.  Didn't go out early last night either.  I usually would have gone with my dil Sara in CO, but since we celebrated Thanksgiving early this year and we are back home, I just stayed at home.  Read some last night (trying to get that book finished).  

I had a busy day yesterday.  One of those days when except for sitting down long enough to eat a sandwich, you realize at 3 that you have been on your feet all day.  Why?  I decided to clean out and reorganize my pantry and some of the cabinets in my kitchen.  Once you get started on something like that, you can't quit until you are finished.

I did take time enough to get my salad made for this evening when my son Patrick and his family come over for our Black Friday Thanksgiving.  (I will try to get that posted as soon as I can.)

I thought I would go on and share the recipe for that today and then when I write the post for our BFT, I will share my complete menu with you.

This salad is a favorite for this time of the year.  It is so good that it is a shame that I only make it now.  I will try to do better and make it several times over the next year. The recipe is in my infamous notebook I have talked about before.   The only date I have on it is 12/24/08 so I guess that is the first time I made it.  I also made a star to remind myself how good it is.  I usually use the sugar-free gelatin, but didn't this time because Patrick doesn't like artificial sugar (he gives me a hard time if I use it in food that I make for him.) If you have never made this, I hope that you will.  


FESTIVE CRANBERRY PINEAPPLE SALAD

1   can (20-oz) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
2  pkgs. (4-serving size each) raspberry flavor gelatin (I used 1 big box --  8-serving size--it was cheaper)
1   can (16-oz) whole berry cranberry sauce
1   medium apple, chopped
2/3   cup  chopped walnuts (see note below)

Drain pineapple








 reserving juice.








Add enough cold water to pineapple to measure 3 cups.







Pour into large saucepan.  Bring to a boil; remove from heat.







Add gelatin; stir at least 2 minutes until completely dissolved.






Add cranberry sauce; and stir until well blended.







Pour into large bowl.  Refrigerate 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites.)

Stir in pineapple, apple and walnuts.

Pour into serving bowls.
 
Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.




Note:  Patrick and Lori do not like nuts in their food.  So I put some aside for them and then added 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts to the rest for my husband and me. 



I hope you were able to enjoy this special time of the year with someone you love.  After tonight we will have enjoyed two special times with our two sons and their families.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment