Monday, March 2, 2015

(NO SUGAR ADDED) ORANGE JULIUS

"Give me an orange, Julius." apparently is how the name Orange Julius came about. At least that is what I read at orangejulius.com. Julius Freed had an orange juice stand but also a friend who had difficulty drinking orange juice because it didn't agree with his stomach. So Julius decided to add some extra ingredients to make the drink less acidic. 

This was all news to me. That was back in 1926 which afterall was a little before my time. Even though I attended the World's Fair as a teenager in New York and it was the official drink, I don't remember drinking it then. My first memory of Orange Julius was when I lived in FL and there was an Orange Julius in the mall on Merritt Island. I remember how everyone tried to figure out what was in it.

I don't know if this recipe is Julius' original recipe or not. I just know it tastes like one and it tastes GOOD! I found the recipe in From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens by Phyllis Pellman Good and Rachel Thomas Pellman. It is different from another one I found in a different cookbook I have.

When I noticed that the frozen orange juice I bought said, "No sugar added", I decided to use stevia for the sugar. It was only 1/4 of a cup, but if it worked, my recipe would be a "No Sugar Added" Orange Julius. I really couldn't tell the difference. Honest. The orange juice concentrate was a 12 - ounce can. I just measured out 6 ounces and put the rest back in the freezer for another time. I couldn't find a 6 - ounce can in the store.

The recipe made enough that my husband and I were able to enjoy it a second day. I just shook the container I had stored it in a bunch and didn't reblend it in the blender.



(NO SUGAR ADDED) ORANGE JULIUS

1       6 - oz can frozen orange juice (no sugar added)
1       cup skim milk
1       cup water
1/4    cup stevia (or sugar if you must)
2      teaspoons vanilla
5-6   ice cubes


Measure out 6 ounces of orange juice concentrate if you are using a larger can.


Combine all of the ingredients in a blender
and mix until well blended.









Makes 1 quart.

No comments:

Post a Comment