Thursday, March 5, 2015

SHOO FLY CAKE


I have heard of Shoo Fly Pie before but never Shoo Fly Cake. That is until Tuesday morning when I made one to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop for the downstairs volunteers. The cookbook from Amish and Mennonites Kitchens said it was best served warm. I made it and took it down to the shop a little before lunch time and placed it in the Community Room where the downstairs volunteers have lunch before they came in. I didn't work this week and so I knew they weren't expecting anything. I hope they enjoyed the surprise.

It was so good. Taste like gingerbread. Since my husband was going into Fort Leavenworth today to the tax office, I thought I would make it again last night for those volunteers.



SHOO FLY CAKE

4       cups flour (use 2 cups whole wheat (pastry) flour and 2 cups white flour)
2       cups brown sugar
1        cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature or slightly softened
2       cups boiling water
1        cup molasses
2       teaspoons baking soda


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. (I used my Pan Grease.)


Work the flour, brown sugar, and butter into fine crumbs with your fingers or a pastry mixer. Set aside 1-1/2 cups of the crumb mixture for topping. (I do this with my mixer and using the paddle attachment. Works great and so much easier and less messy.
Mix the water, molasses, and baking soda together in a large bowl.


Then add to the remaining crumbs. 

Mix until the batter is very thin yet still lumpy.


Pour batter into pan.


Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.


Bake for 35 minutes.

"Best served slightly warm, fresh from the oven."


I gotta say though it was pretty good cold this morning. (I had to enjoy a piece of it this morning to make sure it was okay for him to take to the tax office.)

If you do want to enjoy it the next day warm, just heat your serving up in the microwave for 15 seconds on high and it will be slightly warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment