Tuesday, March 17, 2015

FOUR LAYER DESSERT

It isn't easy getting back in the groove with my blog after being on vacation. I did miss trying new recipes while we were gone, but it was also a surprising relief not having to come up with a different recipe each day. We did enjoy my Multi-Grain Cranberry Banana Bread that I took on the plane and two morning I made the No Sugar Added Orange Julius

I did have to find something to make to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop for the downstairs volunteers. Since today is St. Patrick's Day, I wanted it to be something "green". After searching quite a few cookbooks, I decided on an old time favorite that I haven't made in a long time. Twenty plus years ago it was a favorite dessert to take to pot lucks or for family gatherings. The really great thing is you can use any flavor of pudding mix that you want to use. Since I wanted the dessert to be green, I chose pistachio pudding mix. I used sugar free pudding mixes but regular cream cheese. I have found that fat-free cream cheese doesn't "set-up" in desserts that aren't baked. 





FOUR LAYER DESSERT

1/2      cup butter or margarine
1          cup flour
1          cup chopped nuts
1          (8 - ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
1          cup powdered sugar
1          (8 - ounce) carton Cool Whip, divided
2         (4 - serving size) packages Sugar Free, Fat Free Instant Pistachio Pudding
3         cups skim milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray the bottom of a baking dish. (I used an 8-1/2 x 11 inch dish.)

Place butter in microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds on High.

Combine the flour, nuts, and butter in a large mixing bowl until a "dough" forms.


Evenly spread the dough over the bottom of the dish.


Bake for 15 minutes. Cool.


Combined the cream cheese and powdered sugar in large mixing bowl and whip until smooth.

Add 1 cup of Cool Whip and continue beating until smooth.


Spread evenly over the cooled crust.


Add milk to pudding mixes in large mixing bowl. Beat for 2 minutes until pudding thickens. (I beat mine close to 3 minutes.)


Spread pudding mixes over cream cheese layer.


Top with the rest of the Cool Whip. This layer will be thin. 









Store in the refrigerator. Best made the day before you plan to serve it so you can be sure each layer "sets up", especially the pudding layer.



No comments:

Post a Comment