Saturday, October 11, 2014

ZUCCHINI MUFFINS

I am publishing this post before I leave to go to the thrift shop to work this morning.  When I sign up to volunteer for the first shift on Saturdays, I prefer to bake something along the lines of muffins or breads. I know the other volunteers would eat and enjoy a dessert like I take on Tuesdays when I work but since it is earlier in the day, I just think something not too sweet is better.  On Tuesdays when I get there, everyone is eating lunch and so dessert just seems to be what the time calls for. 

I found this recipe for Zucchini Muffins from the HyVee Seasons magazine.  It said, "These wholesome snacks are low in calories and carbs, but high in fiber and protein. Chia seeds and flaxseeds offer healthy doses of mega - 3 fatty acids and antioxidants. Freeze extra muffins for up to a month."

It said it serves 24 and I mistakenly thought I would be making only 24 muffins.  Boy! Was I wrong.  You see I hadn't read that you use a mini muffin pan.  I ended up making 69 mini muffins. That means they intended 3 of them counted as a serving.  So the 110 calories/serving, isn't too bad. You might notice as you skim the recipe that there is no oil/butter in the muffins. Awesome!


ZUCCHINI MUFFINS

1 - 1/2     cups all-purpose flour
3/4         cup almond flour
1              cup brown sugar, packed
3/4         cup oat bran or wheat bran (I did use the oat bran)
3             tablespoons chia seeds or flaxseeds (I used the chia)
2             teaspoons baking soda
1              teaspoon baking powder
1              teaspoon ground cinnamon
2              large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4          cup buttermilk (I used lowfat 1%)
1/3           cup cinnamon applesauce (I used natural applesauce)
2              teaspoons vanilla extract
3              cups grated zucchini, drained (about two medium)
Chopped walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly spray mini muffins pans with cooking spray; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flours, brown sugar, oat bran, chia seeds, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon; set aside.

In another large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, applesauce, and vanilla. 
Stir in zucchini, mixing just until combined. 
Stir in flour mixture just until combined. Do not overstir.

Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup. (The small cookie scoop is just perfect for this.)

Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.

Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.

Remove and continue cooling on wire rack.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment