Tuesday, October 21, 2014

SUPER-MOIST APPLE BREAD

I have found another new place to take my goodies.....Once a month the Miracle Ringers, our handbell choir at Platte Woods United Methodist Church, plays. Actually, Member Audrey is the one who thought of it. This summer when I posted a recipe on my blog, Audrey saw it and said I should share my goodies with the handbell choir when we play. I told her I would but reminded her that she would have to forego the doughnut she usually hurries to get beforehand. She laughed and said she would remember.

Sunday we played two beautiful songs. We all wore Royal attire to support the Kansas City Royals who have made it to the World Series for the first time in 29 years.  (Go Royals!!!!!) 

I found this recipe for Super-Moist Apple Bread in my Secrets of Fat Free Baking cookbook. The cookbook is by Sandra Woodruff, RD. This bread has only 89 calories per slice. Its other nutritional facts are:

Fat : 0.3 g
Protein: 2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 54 mg
Fiber: 2.2 g
Calcium: 13 mg
Potassium: 114 mg
Iron: 0.8 mg

When Sandra chose the name "Super-Moist"  for this bread, she chose the perfect name.  This is the most moist bread I have ever made and eaten. The choir members really liked it, too.




SUPER-MOIST APPLE BREAD

2       cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2    cup brown sugar
1        teaspoon baking soda
3/4   cup apple juice (I used apple cider)
1        teaspoon vanilla extract
2       cups finely chopped apples (2 apples)
1/4    cup chopped dark raisins or chopped walnuts (I used the dark raisins but forgot to chop them)

Preheat oven to  325 degrees F. Spray an 8 x 4 - inch loaf pan with cooking spray.


Combine the flour, brown sugar, and baking soda in a large bowl.


Add the apple cider and vanilla extract and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.


Fold in the apples.


Fold in the raisins or walnuts if desired.


Spread the mixture evenly in the pan.


Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or just until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Remove the bread from the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes.


Invert the loaf onto a wire rack,
turn right side up, and cool before slicing and serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment