Monday, October 20, 2014

SIMPKINS GRANOLA COOKIES

Sometimes a cookie is all I need.  I actually really enjoy baking cookies. I know some people think they are too much trouble.  At least that's what I hear every year when I start talking about having a cookie exchange before Christmas.  Maybe this year.  

A couple of days ago I decided to look through some recipes I have just loose in a small plastic box. One of the things in there was a 16 - page paid advertising supplement I had saved from our newspaper called Gifts & Goodies.  It was full of cookie/bar recipes from the 11th annual Holiday Cookie Contest.  They all looked so good. When I decided I wanted to fill the cookie jar, I started from the back and found this recipe for Simpkins Granola Cookies on page 13.  This winning recipe was from Betty Tolles, from Lenexa. "Simpkins" was her maiden name.  I enjoyed reading the narrative about Betty that was included on the page.  She said you could use any cereal for the granola.  I bought some granola cereal that also had raisins and sliced almonds in it.  So some of the cookies have an added treat in them. I substituted stevia for the sugar to reduce the calories.  My experience is that stevia when used to cook isn't as sweet as sugar. But that's what we are used to and what my husband prefers. If you are like us, use the stevia.  Otherwise, use sugar.

My husband especially liked them so I don't think my cookie jar will be full very long.
  

SIMPKINS GRANOLA COOKIES

1/2       cup margarine, room temperature
1/2       cup brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup brown sugar blend)
1/2       cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup stevia)
1           egg
1           tablespoon + 1 teaspoon milk
1           teaspoon vanilla
1           cup whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2       teaspoon baking powder
1/2       teaspoon baking soda
1/2       teaspoon salt
1           cup granola or oatmeal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.


Combine margarine and both sugars in a medium size mixing bowl and mix well with a fork.


Add the egg and mix in.


Stir in the milk and vanilla.


In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir them lightly with a fork until they are thoroughly mixed.


Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until completely blended.


Add the granola. Mix well.


Using a small scoop (1 tablespoon size) place dough about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.


Bake 10 minutes or until light brown. (You can see they do flatten somewhat.)


Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.



No comments:

Post a Comment