Saturday, October 25, 2014

HONEY BANANA BREAD

"Pretty good.  Taste like gingerbread."  That's the response I got from my son Patrick when I asked him how the bread tasted. You see I didn't get a chance to try it out since it only made 2 mini loaves and I gave both of them to them when we visited recently. When they told me banana bread was Granddaughter Madison's favorite, I decided that was something I could easily make - and -take when we went to visit.  It's so funny...she always has to unwrap the loaf or loaves to see what the bread looks like.

This recipe is another one from the Secrets of Fat-Free Baking cookbook.  With no oil or eggs and using whole wheat pastry flour, this is another nutritious bread with only 99 calories per serving.

I decided I wanted to make the recipe again this time to share with the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop.  I mixed the pictures together for this post. I wanted to see if I thought it tasted like gingerbread. (Maybe just a hint. I think it is probably the combination of the whole wheat flour and the nutmeg. It is pretty good, if I say so myself.)




HONEY BANANA BREAD

2         cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4      cup brown sugar
1 - 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4     teaspoon baking soda
1/4      teaspoon ground nutmeg
1          cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 large)
1/3      cup honey
1/4      cup skim milk

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Spray one 8 x 4 - inch loaf pan or two mini-loaf pans with cooking spray.


Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg, and stir to mix well with a whisk.


Add the banana, honey, and milk, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.


Spread the batter in the pan(s).









Bake for 45 to 50 minutes (40 to 45 minutes for mini-loaves) for the single loaf or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Remove the bread from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes.

Invert the loaf onto a wire rack, (I just had to take a picture - it was so pretty)

turn right side up, and cool before slicing and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment