Thursday, October 2, 2014

BANANA 3 - WAY BATTER

Have you ever wondered how many different ways there are to make banana "bread"?  Every time I find a new recipe, I wonder. I have published about 21 different recipes.  My number one post is for a banana bread, Moist Banana Bread, an Amish Recipe.

The recipe I am sharing today I found in the Ventura Star - Free Press, Ventura's local newspaper when we first moved to CA. Now I think it is a county paper. The basic recipe is given and shown three different ways you can bake it....a loaf (bread), muffins, and a coffee cake. I am including the directions for the last two ways even though I have actually never made them that way. The recipe also shows its versatility by listing many different "add-ins". The possibilities are endless with this recipe.

The last time (6 months ago) when I had my dental cleaning Dee told they were always willing to "taste-test" my recipes.  So I made the recipe and took one of the two mini loaves that the recipe made with me when I had my appointment earlier this week.  They were really surprised and delighted. When I told them to let me know how it tasted because I would be putting it on my blog, Linda said to write, "I tired calling them several times in the afternoon but got no answer."  Very funny, Linda.




BANANA 3 - WAY BATTER


1/2       cup margarine
1           cup stevia or sugar
2          eggs 
1 - 1/2  cups mashed ripe bananas (3 - 4 depending on size)
1           tablespoon lemon or lime juice (I used lemon juice)
2          cups unsifted flour
1           teaspoon baking soda
1/2       teaspoon salt
1/2       teaspoon cinnamon
1/2       teaspoon lemon rind - grated (I used lemon peel)

Optional add - ins:

1/2       cup:  chopped nuts
                     dates
                     raisins
                     dried apricots
                     coconut
                     prunes
                     chocolate chips
                     cranberries/dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  

In large mixing bowl, cream together margarine and stevia until light and fluffy.  

Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Stir in mashed bananas and lemon juice.

In a different bowl, mix together the flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, and lemon peel. 

Blend dry ingredients into creamed mixture.

Stir in any add-in if you have chosen to do so.

For the loaf


Spoon the batter into a greased loaf pan or two mini loaves pans. (My Pyrex loaf pans are a little bigger than the standard mini loaf pan.) Bake for 55 minutes for larger loaf or 40 - 45 minutes for smaller loaves. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the loaf. If done, the toothpick will be clean.


Cool 10 minutes and 
remove from pan.








For Muffins:

Spoon batter into 24 greased 2 - 1/2 inch muffin cups.  Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.

For Coffee Cake:

Spread batter evenly in a greased 9 - inch square pan. Bake 40 minutes or until cake tester (toothpick) comes out clean. Slice 2 bananas and arrange slices over top of cake.  Sprinkle with a topping of 1/2 cup packed brown sugar combined with 2 tablespoons margarine, melted and 1/4 cup flaked coconut.
Broil 2 minutes or until topping is bubbly or lightly browned.

I took the other loaf to my grandchildren Madison and Tyler.  They were so excited to get it.  Madison said, "Thank you for bringing another loaf." She is so thoughtful and just 4 years old. Tyler doesn't say much but every time his mother wasn't looking, he was picking it up trying to get the plastic wrap off.  (Madison always wants to see what it looks like when I have it wrapped in foil.)
Here are pictures of them I managed to take. Tyler loves my phone and at only 2 - 1/2, he knows what to do when he gets it. I have to watch him. ; ).


Madison had to pose.




Tyler is just so "stinking" cute is all I can say. Love his dimples.

No comments:

Post a Comment