Friday, October 31, 2014

CALICO BEANS

Happy Halloween!  Won't be long before the neighborhood will be full of little ones (and some big ones) running around in their costumes eager to get their "treats". I do so enjoy seeing all their happy faces and usually darling costumes. But until then, I am sharing a new recipe that my husband and I really liked...Calico Beans.

"When a bowl of pork 'n beans grow up, this is what it wants to be. Each bite is a chuck-wagon blend of bacon, beans, and a brown sugar sweet sauce." That's how Hy Vee describes these Calico Beans in their Seasons magazine.

I tore the page out and have been wanting to make them for weeks, but you know how that goes. But I finally did yesterday.  My husband really liked them and said they would be good to take to a pot luck.  He's right.  They are perfect for that.  The recipe does make quite a bit and we may be tired of them by the time we finally finish eating them.  But I could be wrong.  They are that good. I added a pan of cornbread and we had a perfect dinner.




CALICO BEANS

l     lb lean ground beef
6    strips of bacon
1    medium onion, chopped
2    (15-oz each) cans dark red kidney beans (I used the light red kidney beans)
1    (15-oz) can great Northern beans
1    (15-oz) can pinto beans
1    (15-oz) can lima beans
1    (15-oz) can butter beans
2    (15-oz each) cans pork and beans in tomato sauce
1    cup packed brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup brown sugar blend)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1    tablespoon mustard
1/4 cup ketchup

In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat until browned. Drain grease and remove ground beef from pan; pour into large slow cooker.

In the same skillet, cook the bacon until browned. Drain off the excess fat from the bacon (place on paper towel). Cut or break bacon into 1/2-inch pieces.  Add to slow cooker.

Drain all of the beans except the pork and beans. Add to the slow cooker.

Add the brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, mustard, and ketchup to the mixture and stir.

Cook on low for 6 hrs.

I decided to make a pan of my best cornbread in the world but added 1 cup of drained whole kernel corn.  It was just what the beans called for. You can find my recipe for my cornbread HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment