Thursday, March 26, 2015

CRANBERRY PORK CHOPS

I love to find new ways to cook pork chops. That's why I am always surprised when I start looking for recipes, I don't find very many. Maybe I need to get a cookbook for just pork. Haven't seen one, but I am sure there is one out there. 

I did find this one in my Best of Country Cooking Cookbook, 2002 submitted by Joan Dobbs from Evansville, IL. Her recipe served 8 and I liked the looks of the dish in the picture. I didn't want to serve 8....just 2, for the two of us. So I made a few changes to the recipe. My results didn't look like her picture, but not sure how she did get her pictured results. I read and reread the recipe to make sure you were to add the BBQ sauce to the cranberry sauce. Yes, that's what it said. But in her picture it just looks like cranberry sauce over the chops. 

It really doesn't matter. We loved MY results. The chops were so moist and tender and we loved the combined taste of the cranberries and BBQ sauce.

If you want to feed more than two, use the whole can of whole berry cranberry sauce, 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce, and 1/4 cup of water.




CRANBERRY PORK CHOPS

3/4    cups whole cranberry sauce
1/4     cup barbecue sauce
2        tablespoons water
2        pork chops (I used center cut)
salt and pepper to taste
little oil

Heat 3/4 cup of whole cranberry sauce in microwave to soften, about 2 minutes on 80% power. (I opened the whole can and heated all of it and then measured out half of it which was 3/4 cup. I wanted to softened it up so that the whole berries were spread out. I will use the rest in something else or just let my husband eat it. He loves whole cranberry sauce.)


Add the barbecue sauce and water to the sauce you will be using for this recipe.


Spray a medium size skillet with oil and brown the chops on each side over medium heat, about a minute or two on each side. (I was getting the sauce ready and didn't really pay close attention to the time.)


Cover the chops with the sauce mixture and lower the temperature to medium low to simmer. Cover skillet with lid.

Cook for about 35 minutes or until chops are done.


Remove chops from skillet.

Serve with the leftover sauce in skillet if you like.







As I said, the chops were so moist and tender. Loved the combined taste of the cranberries and BBQ sauce. You won't be sorry if you try this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment