Friday, October 5, 2012

TEXAS BEAN SOUP

Fall has arrived in KCMO.  The leaves are turning on the trees.  So pretty!  Temperatures are dropping.  The first frost is even forecasted for this weekend.  Will have to bring my plants in and cover up my pepper plants on the deck.  

At our house when the temps start falling, that means you can expect to hear me say, "Soup"s on."  And that is what I was saying earlier this week when I made Texas Bean Soup.  

I have had the recipe 25 years and don't remember where I found it. It does hit the spot though when you are in the mood for a bowl of homemade soup.


TEXAS BEAN SOUP

1  cup dried beans (kidney or pinto), soaked overnight and drained.
1  large potato, diced
2  cups cooked tomatoes, or 1 can tomatoes
1  lb. ground chuck or ground beef (I use ground turkey)
1  large onion, chopped
1-2  tablespoons chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/2  cup water

Wash the beans and drain.

Cover beans with salted water;  simmer until tender.

Peel and dice the potato.

(I used fresh cherry tomatoes from my garden instead of the cooked tomatoes or can of tomatoes)

Add potatoes and tomatoes; simmer until done.

Brown meat and onions, add remaining ingredients.

Combine meat mixture with beans, add enough water to make 4 quarts of soup.

Simmer until all ingredients are tender.

Serve with hot cornbread muffins.

TIP ALERT!

The Quick Method to prepare dried beans if you forget to soak them overnight or decide that day that you want to use them.

I almost never remember to presoak dried bean overnight.  So for years I have used the "quick method".  Wash the beans and cover them with plenty of water in a big pot.  Bring the water to boil (I usually put the lid on the pot to speed up this process.  Just watch it carefully so it doesn't boil over.) and boil for 2 minutes.

Remove from the stove, keep it covered with a lid, and let it stand for 1 hour.  After an hour, pour off the water, rinse out the pot, and then return the beans to the pot and cover with plenty of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment