Friday, June 26, 2015

MY BIRTHDAY SURPRISE!

I honestly can't remember a better birthday than the one I celebrated a week or so ago. Anyone who knows me - knows that my family is the most important thing in my life. Family was the reason we moved from Ventura, CA after living their longer than we (my husband and I) had lived anywhere since we were married. Our older son moved to CO and our younger son decided to make MO his home after attending school here on a baseball scholarship and meeting and falling in love with a MO girl. The move hasn't always "set well" with my husband who had thought CA would be forever our home, but for the most part, I think he is happy here. I wish KS wasn't between MO and CO though so we could see our CO family more frequently and the 6 grandchildren could play together more often. BUT it's better than it would have been if we were still in CA.

My day didn't start out any different than any of my other recent birthdays. My husband asked me where I wanted to go to dinner and since I really hadn't decided, I told him I would think about it. When I got home from playing Mexican Train with friends, before I could tell him I had decided I wanted a steak at Texas Road House, he told me Patrick, our younger son, had called and wanted to take us out to dinner at Cracker Barrel. Even though that meant I wouldn't be getting my steak...I thought that was really thoughtful of him. 

He greeted me with a big grin and hug at Cracker Barrel and wished me "Happy Birthday". Then he led us to our table all the way in the back section. I rounded the corner and had the surprise of my life. At this long table was sitting not only Patrick's family but our older son, Jeffrey, and his family from CO. I just couldn't believe it. Everyone had kept the secret so well. (Even Friend Janice who had given me a "lame excuse" for not going to estate sales the next day...dil Sara had sent her a message telling her they were coming so we wouldn't make any plans.) 


Friday I spent most of the day with Jeffrey and his family (Patrick and his wife were working.) I got up early that morning and made these brownies at my Granddaughter Hallie's request. They were so good and only had 1/2 cup of sugar in them. 

Later in the afternoon all of the grandkids had fun in the pool.













For dinner that night everyone came to our house for dinner. Dil Sara has a gluten intolerance and made her Orange Chicken in the slow cooker for dinner. I will be sharing the recipe soon. It was very good. I also made green beans and potatoes  in a different slow cooker.


The next afternoon we gathered at Platte Ridge Park for a picnic. My son Patrick had cooked ribs and brisket on the grill back at his house while he worked on his brother's car earlier in the day.

Before we ate, the kids had a blast playing on the playground equipment.

Didn't know that we have such climbers in the family....



Tyler...




Maddy... She even got me to climb it...my first ever. "It's so easy, Grandmother." (Glad no one got a picture of that.)



Henry thought he was big enough to do it all, too. "Look at Grandmother."





The girl cousins....








Taking a little break...




Granddaughter Sadie had requested a lemon cake. She wanted to help me make it, but that didn't work out with our time schedule. So I decided I would let her mix together the frosting. Of course, Granddaughters Maddy and Hallie wanted to help also, which Sadie agreed to. I made my Lemon Dream Cake which has the lemon frosting/whipped topping frosting.


They each took turns stirring...




























Can't leave out anyone...





























I had to include this cute one...







and one more of the younger boys...




I thought this picture I took of Tyler climbing "up" the tunnel slide was interesting.


I love this picture of all 6 of them we took back at Patrick's house...

and here is all of us at the park...



The weekend had to end too soon, but so many memories were made that will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment