Monday, June 15, 2015

LEMON SPONGE PIE

Last week on my birthday, my husband walked into the kitchen and asked me what I was making this time. I told him since it was my birthday and I didn't figure he was going to make me anything, I was making my a birthday pie. He enjoyed the joke. 

I really wanted to make a chocolate pie, but when I saw this recipe for Lemon Sponge Pie in my from Amish and Mennonite kitchens cookbook and knowing lemon pie is my husband's favorite, I changed my mind and decided to give it a try.

Normally I would have liked to reduce the sugar but decided I would make it by the recipe this first time. Next time I will use my sugar/stevia blend and only use 1/2 cup. That will reduce the sugar content some.

The results were delicious! My family surprised me that night for my birthday and so we didn't get to eat any of it until the next day. My oldest grandson, Colby, wanted a small piece so the first piece I cut was small and it came out perfectly. You can see the two layers of cake and below it a "soft pudding-like layer". It is certainly a good pie to make if you want to impress someone.


LEMON SPONGE PIE

1       cup sugar
2      tablespoons butter
3      eggs, separated
3      tablespoons flour
1/2   teaspoon salt
Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon - I used 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon McCormick's California Lemon Peel
1-1/2 cups hot water or milk (I did use milk - I heated it for 1 minute in the microwave on High)

1       9" unbaked pie shell 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare pie plate with pie crust. (My pie plate says it is in 8-1/2 inches and I use Wal-mart's Great Value Pie Crust)


Cream sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl.


Add egg yolks and beat well.


Add flour, salt, lemon juice, and rind.

Add milk.


Transfer mixture to a new bowl and wash mixing bowl to beat the egg whites til stiff.


Fold into the mixture til smooth. (Not quite smooth enough yet in my picture.)


Pour into pie crust


and bake for 45 to 50 minutes. (I took mine out after 45 minutes.)



We didn't eat any until the next day. I covered the pie with foil and stored it in the frig. Here is the small piece I cut for Colby. "Pretty as a picture" , don't you think?





I did get some chocolate later that afternoon when our Mexican Train group met at Friend Pat's house. She had cupcakes she had bought at Sam's Club that were so good. I chose a chocolate chocolate chip one that was to die for. She was going to put a candle in mine but she couldn't fine one. I told her to just stick a match in it. I had to blow it out quickly while my friends sang happy birthday to me. Thanks, Pat, for my "chocolate fix".

No comments:

Post a Comment