Wednesday, June 17, 2015

HAWAIIAN WEDDING CAKE

I guess I'm the only person who had never heard of Hawaiian Wedding Cake until I made it and took it to share with the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. Several were very familiar with it. 

Monday afternoon I was desperately looking for something that sounded good to bake when I saw Sally Foley's recipe from Rockland, Maine in the Yankee Magazine's Church Suppers & Potluck Dinners Cookbook. Her comment with the recipe said, "We're delighted that this pineapple cake made its way to New England. It's quick, easy, and absolutely delicious -- great for a party. The cake itself is so moist and full of flavor that it would be almost as good with the frosting."

I have to agree with what she said, but I did really enjoy the frosting with it. I generally followed Sally's recipe except I reduce the sugar by half a cup. (I got brave after Friend Sue shared her recipe for Blueberry - Lemon Bundt Cake with me and completely omitted the granulated sugar that was called for in the recipe. I would never have guessed it. The cake was delicious!) I also used fat free cream cheese for the frosting. It just meant my frosting was thinner, but it still tasted great!



HAWAIIAN WEDDING CAKE

CAKE

2         cups all-purpose flour
1          cup white sugar
1          cup unsweetened coconut
2         teaspoons baking soda
1          can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, in its own juice (do not drain)
2         large eggs, beaten
1          cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)

FROSTING

1/2      cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, at room temperature
1          package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature (I used fat free cream cheese)
1-1/2   cups confectioners' sugar
2         teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.


To make the cake, sift the flour and soda into a large mixing bowl.

Add the remaining ingredients and mix by hand.


Pour into the baking pan.


Bake for 45 minutes or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool completely.


To make the frosting, combine all the ingredients and beat until smooth.


Smooth over the completely cooled cake.


Cut into squares to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment