Thursday, June 25, 2015

FUDGE-FILLED BARS

After my surprise weekend, I was a little depressed Monday afternoon. It didn't help me when I had to find something to bake to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Tuesday. I wasn't really in the mood to cook for sure. Then it seemed like I couldn't find a recipe that didn't call for 2 cups of sugar. It is just so hard for me to use that much sugar in a recipe. I know, I used to do it all the time. But I just can't do it anymore. 

Finally just before giving up I picked up my 2003 Taste of Home's Quick Cooking Annual Recipes cookbook and found this recipe for Fudge - Filled Bars submitted by Renee Zimmer of Gig Harbor, Washington. There was a picture of the bars on the page and they looked really yummy. Since I had all of the ingredients and it didn't take too long to make them, I decided to give the recipe a try.

Boy! Are these to die for! I kept 3 at home and ate one when I got finished with my shift. When I left the shop, there were 3 bars I left on a plate. 

You could make these for holidays by changing the M & M's. Reeses' Pieces would be great in the fall. And of course, they now make M & M's in all different colors for holidays.



FUDGE-FILLED BARS

2         cups quick-cooking oats
1-1/2   cups flour
1         cup packed brown sugar
3/4      teaspoon salt
1         cup butter or margarine
1         cup chopped pecans
1         can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free)
1         cup (6 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
2         tablespoons shortening
1         cup plain M&Ms

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.


In a bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt.


Add margarine that has been cut into "slabs" and mix until crumbly. (Mine is never what I call crumbly.)

Add the pecans.

Set aside 1-1/2 cups of mixture for topping.


Press remaining mixture into pan. Easier to do this if you drop spoonfuls around pan and then spread them together with fingers or a spatula. Take from the reserved mixture if you need a little extra to cover the bottom.



In a saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate chips, and shortening.
Cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted.


Spread over the crust.


Sprinkle the top with the reserved crumb mixture.


Sprinkle M&Ms on top.


Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until edges are turning brown.

Remove and cool on wire rack.


Cut into bars and serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment