Tuesday, June 16, 2015

GRANDMA'S BROWNIES

When my family surprised me for my birthday last week by all of us being together (the older son and his family live in Colorado Springs and we hadn't seen them since before Christmas), I knew I had to have some "sweets" for the "sweets". I asked Hallie, my oldest granddaughter who is 9 what she liked, she said, "Brownies."

I searched through a few cookbooks looking for a new recipe to try and found that most brownie recipes call for 2 cups of sugar. I just really hate to use that much sugar in any recipe. Then I picked up my Wakefield Community Cooks cookbook and found a couple of recipes that called for 2 cups of sugar. Then I saw this recipe submitted by Virginia Faulkner called Grandma's Brownies. It only called for 1/2 cup of sugar. I almost couldn't believe it. The interesting thing I discovered was on the next page Judy Carpenter had almost the identical recipe (she used butter instead of shortening and 1/2 cup cocoa instead of 5 tablespoons...close enough) but the main difference was Judy baked her brownies for 6 minutes on High in the microwave. Now, I didn't try that, but you might want to and see how they turn out. Certainly won't heat up the kitchen on a hot summer's day. I may have to try them myself that way.

Anyway, Hallie loved them and so did the rest of the family. Grandma certainly knew how to make brownies.




GRANDMA'S BROWNIES

3/4    cup sifted flour (sift flour and then measure it)
1         cup sugar
5        tablespoons cocoa
1/2     teaspoon salt
1/2     cup soft shortening (I measured the shortening and then heated in microwave for 30 second)
2        eggs (unbeaten)
1         teaspoon vanilla
1/2     cup chopped nuts (I omitted because 3 of my grandchildren have peanut allergies)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 - inch square pan. (I used my homemade Pan Grease.)


Put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl in the order given.

Beat with mixer for 3 minutes on medium speed.


Spread in pan (batter will be thick so drop by spoonfuls and then spread them together to cover the bottom of the pan) and 
bake for 28 - 30 minutes. Do not overbake. (I took mine out after about 28 minutes. They had started to pull away from the sides of the pan.)


Cool in pan before cutting in 9 squares.


Eat alone or with a scoop of ice cream and a quirt of chocolate syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment