Monday, June 1, 2015

CRISPY GINGERSNAP COOKIES


Gingersnaps are one of my favorite cookies. I have made and shared several different gingersnap recipes here on my blog. I have liked the cookies that every recipe made. The reason I continue to try new gingersnap recipes when I find them is I have been trying to find a recipe that makes crispy gingersnaps. That's what I really like. Afterall they are called gingersnaps. They should "snap" when you bite into one. 

I may give up looking for another recipe. That's because I finally found a recipe that makes snappy gingersnaps. I even added the word "crispy" to the title of the recipe so I will know this one is really snappy. And my husband really liked them, too.

I found this recipe in a cookbook called from Amish and Mennonite Kitchens. I have made several recipes from it and have been pleased with each one. The original recipe made about 11 dozen cookies. So I cut it into thirds (that was easy to do since it called for 3 eggs). That's why the flour measurement is so crazy. I like to use whole wheat pastry flour when I can. Next time I will try using all whole wheat pastry flour, but this time it was easy to use whole wheat pastry flour for half  (1 cup + 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon) and the other half using all-purpose flour. My recipe made 3 dozen cookies...just the right amount.

They are so pretty in my cookie jar....



CRISPY GINGERSNAP COOKIES

1       cup sugar
3/4  cup shortening
1       egg
1/4   cup molasses
1       tablespoon ground ginger
2      teaspoons baking soda
1       teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2   teaspoon salt
2      cups + 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons flour (I used half whole wheat pastry flour and half all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Cream sugar and shortening until creamy. Add egg and molasses and beat til blended.


Add ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.


Slowly add the flour. Batter will be thick. Stir with mixer until completely mixed.


Make 1 inch balls with dough. I used my 1 tablespoon size scoop. This works perfectly. Roll dough into a ball in the palm of your hand and drop in a small bowl with sugar to coat.


Place dough on ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. (no more than 12 cookies on a sheet) Do not flatten.


Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Do not overbake. Dough is puff up but cookies will flatten when they cool.


Remove cookies to wire rack to cool.











No comments:

Post a Comment