Friday, January 10, 2014

PORCUPINE MEATBALLS

Things are looking up.  It is actually 41 degrees.Today Janice and I were able to go to an estate sale....it's been a while.  We also went to the Hillcrest Thrift Shop in Platte City (Janice had never been.) and several antique malls. We also enjoyed a good lunch at Roxanne's in PC.  The day would have been just about perfect if only the sun had been shining, but I won't be greedy.  I will eagerly take what I can get.
Our forecast for next week is looking good too....highs in 40s and lows in upper 20s and lower 30s.  After the arctic blast we had, that will feel like a heat wave.  OK, I exaggerate a little. 
    
I have had this recipe for a long time.....probably back to the earlier days of marriage....back when I wrote recipes on recipe cards and kept them in a recipe box. I didn't write the source of the recipe so I can't give any credit for the recipe. I did indicate that I made them twice in 1985 on the back of the card.

It has been quite a while since I made them, but yesterday when we went to the commissary at Fort Leavenworth, I bought some Laura's Lean Beef. The cows have been given no hormones or antibiotics and are vegetarian fed. It cost more than your average ground beef, but I think it is worth it.  (I'm not being reimbursed to say so.)  I had been thinking about something different to cook and remembered the porcupine meatballs.  While we were in CO visiting my son Jeffrey and his family, Sara prepared the frozen meatballs with grape jelly and chili powder in the slow cooker and they were so good.  So I guess "meatballs" were on my mind.

The recipe makes enough to serve 5 - 6 people depending on the size you make the meatballs and how much other food you serve with them.  It will make between 14 and 20 meatballs.




PORCUPINE MEATBALLS

1       beaten egg
1       10-3/4 oz can condensed tomato soup
1/4    cup uncooked long-grain rice
2       tablespoons finely chopped onion
1       tablespoon parsley
1/2    teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
1       lb. ground beef
1       teaspoon Worcestershire sauce


Combine the egg, 1/4 cup of the tomato soup, rice, onion, parsley, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.






Add beef, mixing well.









Shape into (20) meatballs.  I used an ice cream scoop I found at an estate sale.  It is a little smaller than 1/4 cup. Worked great.  You will need to make them using less for each if you want to make 20 meatballs.










Place in skillet.









Mix the remaining soup, 1/2 cup water, and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.






Pour over meatballs.









Over medium heat, bring to boiling...








reduce heat slightly and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes, stirring often....turning the meatballs over in liquid.

They were delicious with our baked sweet potatoes and field peas with snaps.

2 comments:

  1. We love these meat balls. I make them often, and there are never left overs because everyone goes back for seconds and even thirds until they are gone! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Kelly. We like them too. Appreciate your words.

      Delete