Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A SCARF FOR COLBY-TUNISIAN CROCHET

Last winter when I had nothing better to do and to get a headstart on Christmas, 2013, I knitted scarves for my two CO granddaughters, Hallie and Sadie.  They turned out so cute.  I shared them with you back then.  See pictures below at the end.


For Colby, my oldest grandson, it took a little bit longer to pick out the yarn and pattern. One of my earliest pins on Pinterest was for a crochet stitch called Tunisian Crochet. 







Mary at Crocheting and Knitting the Day Away did an outstanding tutorial HERE.   I could have taken lots of pictures as I did Colby's scarf, but decided I didn't need to when she had done such an excellent job.


As it turned out, I couldn't have been more pleased with the end result and the pattern was so easy.  Mary did say to keep the stitches loose on the needle, this is really important.








A change I made from Mary's directions...I did use a size K 6.5 mm afghan hook (my husband bought it for me and that was the only size the store sold) but it turned out fine. I also used a  chunky weight yarn called Serenity from the Deborah Norville Collection. I really liked the way the pattern turned out with that yarn. I also did chain 15 stitches to begin as Mary suggested.  Remember to keep the stitches loose! It took a little less than 1 and 1/2 skeins to make it the 50 inches it needed to be for Colby.

For this post I thought I would address a couple of issues that Mary didn't share in her tutorial.


The scarf will need blocking (pressing). The ends and edges did curl up....the ends the worst.  







To do this use a pressing cloth (dish towel works great) and a steam iron. I set my iron to wool setting. Laying the cloth over the scarf making sure the scarf is "flat" underneath, press the iron over the cloth for several seconds. You may need to repeat especially on the ends where the curl was more prominent.



Another hint....when you have to add another skein....make sure you remove the yarn from the skein the same way as you did the first skein.  This way, any pattern with colors will "run" the same way.



And Colby loved it!








Sadie's scarf before I added the fringe....















and after I added the fringe for her...  She really loved it, too.



I used the seed stitch to make this one. See my tutorial HERE. 



Hallie's scarf...  Do I need to tell you she loved it, too? She and Sadie both wore them just around in the house.  They did look so cute on them...Did a grandmother proud.







I used the sand stitch for Hallie's scarf.  Tutorial HERE.










Now for next year.....hmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment