Monday, January 27, 2014

CHEESY CHICKEN CRUNCHERS

After a beautiful day yesterday around 60, waking up to 3 was pretty cold this morning.  It was supposed to get up to 14 today.  I guess it did.  I only went outside a couple of times and it did feel COLD.  

The best thing to do on such a cold day is have friends over for a fun afternoon of farkle and that is what I did.  It was even nice when the sun came out about middle of the afternoon and came through the living room window.  I also tried another new dessert that I will be sharing later this week.  It is another Amish recipe called Apple Roll-Ups that I got from a book of three Amish short stories that included a few recipes.  The MOIST BANANA BREAD, AN AMISH RECIPE that I made from a recipe in the book has taken over the top spot for most popular post from my blog.  I think you will like this one when I get a chance to write it up in a couple of days.  My friends all really liked it.  

For today though I am sharing a recipe I made last week that I cut out of the Kansas City Star newspaper not long after we moved here in 2008.  It doesn't advertise the fact but it is a healthy recipe using egg whites, 1% milk, and reduced-fat cheese.  My husband thought it could have used some spices (he does like a little spice in his life) and you could add those without adding to the calories. 




CHEESY CHICKEN CRUNCHERS

1/2     cup all-purpose flour
2        egg whites
1/3     cup 1 percent milk (I used skim milk)
1/2     cup crushed shredded wheat (I had to add a couple more crushed small biscuits to cover the last tender)
1/2     cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese (I used shredded cheddar cheese from 2% milk)
1        lb chicken tenders (I used 4)


Heat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a 9 x 13-in baking dish with foil.  Place a rack coated with cooking spray in baking dish and set aside. (I just used a cookie sheet.)


Place flour in a  pie plate.


In a second pie plate, mix together the egg whites and milk.


In a third pie plate, mix shredded wheat with cheese. (I cut through the mixture mainly to cut up the cheese more.)


Coat chicken strips in flour (shake to remove excess)





Then coat both sides in the egg/milk mixture






Roll chicken in cereal/cheese mixture









Place chicken on rack in dish.








Bake 15 minutes, then increase heat to 450 degrees. Turn chicken and bake 10 more minutes or until no longer pink.




If you wanted to add your favorite seasonings, just add them to the flour.

Hope you are having a good day today and enjoying whatever the temperature is where you are.  Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment