Thursday, January 16, 2014

OATMEAL DATE SPICE COOKIES

I finished the crumbs (that's all that was left) from the BUTTERSCOTCH CHIP CHOCOLATE COOKIES this morning.  Even though I plan to make these cookies using something besides the butterscotch chips, I have to admit, I LOVE the butterscotch taste with the chocolate.  

Anyway I knew I needed to make some more cookies today.  Tomorrow is my husband's last class at Fort Leavenworth for the tax preparation class and I wanted to make something for him to take to share. So cookies sounded like a good change.  They did enjoy the CHERRY LOAF and Cranberry Applesauce Bread that I made. (I will be sharing the latter soon. It is definitely a winner!)

At an estate sound back in the fall that Janice and I attended, Janice decided to buy a Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade desserts cookbook.  Before we got home, I had talked her out of it.  (I do plan to give it back to her, after I seriously sit down and check out the recipes.)  

Earlier today I decided to check it out for cookie recipes and found this one for Oatmeal Date Spice Cookies.  It appealed to me because I like to use a sugar free cake mix when recipes calls for a yellow cake mix. (I'm always looking for ways to reduce calories in recipes...if you aren't concerned about that, just use a regular yellow cake mix.) I also love dates in anything so that was another reason to try the recipe. 

Sandra said to use an ungreased cookie sheet and I made the first pan that way.  They kinda wanted to stick. So for the next pan, I used parchment paper.  I liked those cookies the best.  

The recipe made 1 cookie short of 4 dozen cookies.




 OATMEAL DATE SPICE COOKIES


1         box (Sugar Free) yellow cake mix
1-1/2  sticks butter (light margarine works), melted
1/3     cup all-purpose flour
2        eggs
2        tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
2        teaspoons vanilla extract
1        cup quick-cooking oats
1        cup chopped walnuts
1        cup chopped dates

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the cake mix, melted butter, flour, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 1 minute or until well blended.  (Will need to scrap the sides of the bowl several times.)

Add oats, walnuts, and dates.  (Mix til evenly distributed.)

For each cookie, drop a heaping tablespoon of dough onto ungreased cookie sheet. (I used my cookie scoop that holds a tablespoon and just make it slightly heaping.  I also liked the results when I used the parchment paper.)  Space cookies 2 inches apart.

Bake for 10 minutes or until edges begin to brown slightly.  Cool cookies on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.





Transfer to wire rack for cooling completely.





No comments:

Post a Comment