Monday, January 13, 2014

PEACH COBBLER



When our son Patrick and his family came over for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner and presents, I asked him what he would like for dessert.  I know he likes apples which is usually what I make, but I thought I would ask and see if he would like a change.

And guess what?!  He said, "You can do something with peaches, I guess."  I couldn't believe it.  Especially since I had been trying to do something with the peaches that I had frozen back in 2012.  

I looked for a particular peach cobbler recipe that I like but haven't made in a while, but it wasn't in my recipe box.  I decided to go to a cookbook I have called Grandma's Cooking.  There I found a recipe for Brandied Peach Cobbler.  It looked good but I didn't want (have) to use Brandy.  So I decided to use orange juice.  

I didn't eat any that night because I was stuffed after dinner, but Patrick did.  After finishing his serving, I asked him how it tasted. He said, "It was good.  It tasted like oranges."  So I guess I did okay.  (I did eat some the next day.  There was a hint of oranges.  I thought it was good, too.)




BRANDIED (ORANGE) PEACH COBBLER

FILLING:

6       cups fresh sliced peaches or 2 (16-ounce) packages frozen fresh peaches
1/2    cup sugar
1/4    cup brandy (I used orange juice)
1       tablespoon cornstarch
1       tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1       teaspoon brandy extract (I used vanilla)
1/2    teaspoon cinnamon

TOPPING:

1       cup all-purpose flour
2/3    cup sugar
1       tablespoon baking powder
1       teaspoon cinnamon
1/2    teaspoon salt
1/2    cup canola oil
1/4    cup milk
1/2    cup chopped pecans (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (I lowered the temp to 350 degrees because I was using a glass baking dish.)  Spray an 11x7x2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.


For filling, in a large bowl, combine the filling ingredients and let stand 30 minutes, stirring often.






For topping, in a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; mix well.  Add oil and milk; blend well.





Fold in pecans, if you are adding them.


Pour peach mixture into baking dish.








Evenly drop topping mixture by rounded tablespoons (I used my small cookie scoop) over peach mixture.






Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until brown and bubbly.








Can serve with ice cream, if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment