Thursday, January 30, 2014

ALMOST-FRIED CHICKEN

"If you are staying away from a lot of "fried"....here's an oven version that has fried taste without all the fat."  That's how Mr. Food describes his Almost-Fried Chicken.

I decided to give it a try the other night.  You can't have too many ways to cook chicken....Right?  I was surprised that it looked just like fried chicken....without the "fried".  

I would suggest that you watch the cooking time as it will change according to the cut of chicken you are using.  I got out what I thought was 2 frozen boneless chicken breast to thaw to use.  After they thawed, I realized one was the "whole" breast but the other breast was actually 2 thinner sliced pieces that I had wrapped together or didn't realize it wasn't a whole breast when I wrapped them to freeze.  Anyway, the three breasts were done at different times.  I actually cooked the thinnest one a little too long.  But now I know and will not make the mistake the next time.  I will give the recipe for using 2 chicken breast with my personal note below for "tenders".





ALMOST-FRIED CHICKEN

1/2     cup flour
1/4     cup cornmeal
1/2     teaspoon pepper
1/2     teaspoon paprika
1/2     teaspoon garlic powder
1/2     teaspoon onion powder
2        chicken breast, split, skinned, and boned
1/4     cup olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  (Spray a baking pan with cooking spray.)


Pour the flour, cornmeal, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder into a paper bag or shallow dish. (I did the latter.)



Set up an "assembly line" with the chicken pieces, flour mixture, and baking pan.








Place the chicken breast in the bag and shake until coated, or place in a shallow dish, turning to coat.











Since there was plenty of flour mixture, I made sure every bit of the breast was coated.








Place the coated chicken breasts in a baking pan and pour the olive oil over them. 







Bake for 15 minutes and then turn the breast over.


Bake for another 15 minutes and turn them back over. (I should have taken the smallest tender out at this point as it was done nicely.  The middle one was really close to being done.)




Bake for another 15 minutes if needed for no pink to remain.








Personal note for using tenders: Bake for 10 minutes and then turn them over.  Bake 10 more minutes...check for doneness.  Turn over again and bake 5 - 10 more minutes only if necessary for them to get done.


No comments:

Post a Comment