Friday, March 1, 2013

SARA'S LAZY DAY LASAGNA

This is a recipe I got from my dil Sara. Almost exactly 4 years later I am finally getting around to making it. She had made it for us when we went to visit and I had asked her for the recipe.  

You can use your favorite spaghetti sauce. I used Newman's Own Tomato and Basil. I also used whole grain noodles.




LAZY DAY LASAGNA

12    oz. cottage cheese

2      cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2      eggs
1/3   cup parsley
1      teaspoon onion powder
1/2   teaspoon basil
1/8   teaspoon pepper
32    oz spaghetti sauce
3/4   cup cooked ground turkey
9      cooked lasagna noodles
3/4   cup water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13 - inch pan with cooking spray.


Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions....(Add two noodles at a time to a pot of boiling water, stir, and boil 10 minutes.)



Meanwhile, cook the ground turkey til done.Add the spaghetti sauce and heat on low while cooking the pasta.


Mix first 7 ingredients together in a large bowl.














In the prepared 9 x 13 - inch pan: 

Spread 3/4 cup of the meat sauce on the bottom of the pan.

Layer 3 cooked noodles on top of the meat sauce.


Spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture on top of the noodles.


Next spread a layer of meat sauce. (about 1-1/2 cups)


Layer another 3 noodles on top of the meat sauce.


Spread the remaining cheese mixture on top of the meat sauce.


Top with last of the meat sauce and noodles.


Pour the water around the outside edges of the lasagna.


Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.


Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.(Sprinkle more shredded cheese on top)



Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.





















My dil said she made hers in two 8 x 8 - inch pans freezing one for later. Since I was making this for just my husband and me, I decided I would do the same thing. But when I did it, I didn't have enough to make two complete ones. We ate the complete one I made and liked the taste. If I had made it in the 9 x 13 - inch or even my 8 x 11 - inch pan, I would have had plenty of ingredients for either one of them. Remember that when you look at my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment