Thursday, March 21, 2013

"BAPPLE" BREAD

Right now I am looking out at a snow covered deck and yard. The roads aren't bad as I just got home from NNL Quilting group....we still haven't finished out Quilt of Valour, but we're working on it. Off to the American Heartland Theater tonight to see Life Could Be a Dream, but dinner first at Ruby Tuesday. Always a fun evening when our little group goes to the theater. Thought I would share with you another great recipe I found and made the other day.

I had some really ripe bananas that I needed to make something with.The peelings were really, really black, but inside they were just yellow.  It really does delay ripening if you separate (pull each one apart) the bananas when you get them home after buying them.  I have had these bananas for at least 3 weeks.  I bought them green, green.  I almost thought they were never going to turn yellow (ripen) and decided next time I would wait until they turned yellow before separating them.  But they finally did ripen. 

This is what they looked like when I peeled them.  I expected them to be black on the inside too, but as you can see they were just right for "ripened" bananas that recipes call for.

This recipe for Bapple Bread is from Mr. Food.  Janice and I went to an estate sale last week and I bought 6 different cookbooks by him.  They were all brand new.  I got them on the second day of the sale for 50 cents a piece.  I haven't had time to look through all of them, but have already found several recipes I wanted to try.

I often use applesauce in place of the oil.  I also decided to use liquid egg for one of the eggs and reduced the sugar from his recipe.

I  took most of this loaf down to Hillcrest Thrift Shop for the volunteers to eat Saturday.  They really loved it.  Hope you will give it a try.



"BAPPLE" BREAD
two great flavors, one great bread.
(and no oil!)

4     ripe bananas (mine were small bananas)
3/4  cup sugar (could use 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar blend)
1/2  cup applesauce (unsweetened)
2     eggs (1 egg + 1/4 cup liquid eggs)
2     cups all-purpose flour
1     teaspoon baking soda
1     tablespoon baking powder
1     teaspoon salt
1     teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray one 9" x 5" loaf pan with cooking spray.  Set aside.

Place 4 ripe bananas in a mixing bowl and mash with the electric mixer.









Stir in sugar and let it set for 15 minutes. (This picture is before I mixed the sugar with the mashed bananas.)










While the bananas and sugar are setting, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt) in a small bowl with a whisk.

After 15 minutes, add the applesauce and eggs. Beat 1 minute with electric mixer.









Then add the vanilla and the dry ingredients; combining thoroughly. (Beat about another minute)









Pour in the prepared loaf pan.










Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes on wire rack.









Remove from pan and continue cooling on the rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment