Saturday, March 9, 2013

CRANBERRY BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

I've been on a blueberry kick lately. So when I saw this recipe for Cranberry Blueberry Muffins, I thought I would give it a try.

Since my husband was outside shoveling the snow the other day, I decided I would surprise him with them when he got through and came inside.

I indicated my particulars in the ( ) in the recipe.  I didn't say the the applesauce took the place of oil.



CRANBERRY BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

2     cups flour (I used soft wheat flour)
1/2  cup sugar (I used Stevia in the Raw)
2     teaspoon baking powder
1      teaspoon salt
1      large egg
1      cup milk (I used skim milk)
1/2  cup natural applesauce (no added sugar)
1/2  cup dried cranberries
1/2  cup fresh or frozen blueberries

2     teaspoons sugar to sprinkle on top before baking.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray muffin pan with cooking spray. (The recipe made 12 regular size muffins and 4 mid-size ones)

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt with a whisk.

Combine egg, milk, and applesauce in another bowl.

Stir liquid ingredients with flour mixture just til moistened.

Gently toss in the fruit.

Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and sprinkle additional sugar on top of each one.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.

Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack 










before you remove them from the pan.











TIP ALERT!  Cooking with fresh blueberries

Fresh blueberries are so much easier to add to batter, if you freeze them first. All you have to do is measure out desired amount of fresh berries, place them on a pan that will fit in you freezer. Do this at least 1 hour before you need them. They won't break apart when you stir them into the batter.

2 comments:

  1. I love blueberries too and I never thought to freeze them to use as needed! Another great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, I buy fresh blueberrries when they are on sale, bring them home, put them in a freezer bag, lay the bag flat in the freezer and freeze them. After they freeze, the bag doesn't have to lay flat.

    I do the same with cranberries. Right now I have a gallon bag of them in the freezer so I can bake with cranberries all year long. You can easily cut them in half, even fourths, if the recipe calls for chopped cranberries as soon as you take them out of the freezer. I don't thaw them to bake with them.

    ReplyDelete