Wednesday, March 6, 2013

MARIE'S WALNUT FUDGE BROWNIES

If you have visited my blog before, especially when I am baking, you know that I usually revise recipes to make them as healthy as I can. I enjoy my sweets, but I also watch my weight and my over-all health.  

That doesn't mean that I don't "cheat" from time-to-time.  It just usually happens when I eat out.  I think that is okay to do though.  You just can't be guilty of doing it too often.  If you do, then you have to accept the consequences.

Recently out Sunday School class, the Bible Boomers, served dinner to our Spanish sister church in downtown Kansas City.  For dessert, they decided to have brownies and cookies.  I offered to make a pan of brownies.

I considered making Donna Jean's brownies that I made and featured HERE.  I also considered making my sugar free, low fat fudge ones that I made a week or two ago HERE. 

But the more I thought about it, I decided the occasion would be a good excuse for me to make my cousin Marie's walnut fudge brownies. That's something else I do....I make a good dessert that I don't make very often anymore because of the calories when I am taking it somewhere to share. That way I can enjoy one serving but won't have the rest around to tempt me.

I did use light margarine instead of butter when I made them.  I didn't, but you could use either 1 cup of sugar blend or 2 cups of Splenda or a stevia product to reduce the sugar calories.  I don't use self-rising flour anymore so the instructions in the parenthesis are a substitute for all-purpose flour.

As I said earlier, this recipe came from my cousin Marie.  The earliest date I have written on the card for making them is 1983. 

They are really, really good.  You won't be sorry for trying them. 



WALNUT FUDGE BROWNIES

1     cup softened butter -- 2 sticks (I did use light margarine)
2     cups sugar
4     eggs
10   tablespoons cocoa
1      cup self-rising flour (I used 1 cup less 2 tablespoons soft wheat flour + 1/4 teaspoon salt)
1      teaspoon vanilla
1      cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray.

Cream butter and sugar til smooth. (I cut my margarine up to cream faster.)







Add eggs and vanilla.  Mix til fairly smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. (I only had 3 eggs so I used 1/4 cup egg substitute for the other egg.)

Add the rest of the ingredients (flour, cocoa, nuts)








and mix until well blended.










Spread in prepared pan.Bake for 30 minutes.









Cool 10 minutes on wire rack.










Cut before serving.










Wanna know how I cut the brownies so cleanly?


I cut them with a plastic knife.








No comments:

Post a Comment