Tuesday, March 26, 2013

GREEN SMOOTHIES

Back in January my husband and I decided to join the local county YMCA.  One  feature of your membership is meeting with your own personal trainer five or six times.  

I really like my trainer Shannon.  I will be sorry when our sessions are over.  She has been very helpful in planning a good program for me and my recently diagnosed osteoporosis.  

One thing she wanted me to do each morning was to enjoy a green smoothie.  It is supposed to "wake up ... metabolism and sneak in some nutritious greens" in a low calorie, nutrient dense drink.  "... a great way to gently detoxify...body on a daily basis.

One morning when I went for my training session, the Y was offering samples of the basic smoothie.  I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to try it out.  Forgetting about what it looked like (green), I tried a small amount and LIKED IT.  

The basic recipe calls for 
  • a blender full of loose leaf, fresh spinach (or the green of your choice)
  • 2  cups of water (I use 1-1/2 cups) or milk
  • 1  cup frozen fruit (can use fresh fruit--if only fresh fruit is used, add some ice cubes)


You can add
  • protein (i.e. powder, 1 tablespoon nut butter, chia seeds)
  • supplements (i.e. Omegas, D3, Spirulina, 2 tablespoons ground flax)

You can experiment with the greens!
  • Spinach
  • Swiss Chard
  • Watercress
  • Parsley
  • Bok Choy
  • Kale
  • Collard Greens
  • Cilantro
The recipe does make two servings.  I put the second serving in the refrigerator and drank it later.  You might need to stir again in the blender if the ingredients have separated.







Put everything in the blender, and then pulse until everything is blended together.  May have to push (stir) with a long spoon from time to time.



No comments:

Post a Comment