Saturday, March 23, 2013

BANANA CAKES

My friend Carol has given me another interesting recipe...this one she got from her daughter. Carol calls them Banana Cakes.  


They taste like a crepe but except for the spices Carol decided to add, they are made with only TWO ingredients .....2 eggs and a banana.





It was hard for me to imagine just these two ingredients would cook something that would hold together, but I trust Carol to not give me a recipe that isn't good.  AND I was right to trust her, I really liked them.

You can't make them much over 3 inches in diameter...they are too hard to flip. That's fine with me though because I am used to making my pancakes "silver dollar" size.

I made a half recipe for just me this morning....Carol does that when her husband Keith doesn't want any. Then when my husband came into the kitchen and saw what I was doing, I explained I didn't make enough for him because I knew he wouldn't want the egg.  

He was intrigued with the recipe so I told him I would try the recipe using his liquid eggs. He told me to go on and eat mine first so they wouldn't get cold and said for me to make the whole recipe for him, if half only made 5 small ones.  

When I made his batch, I added more than just a sprinkle of the cinnamon and nutmeg as Carol does. I ate a bite of one of his and was happy with the extra seasoning.




BANANA CAKES
(makes 10 small "cakes")

2     eggs
1     whole banana
1     teaspoon vanilla extract
"dash" of cinnamon ( a dash is about a heaping 1/8 tsp.)
"pinch" of nutmeg (a pinch is about an 1/8 tsp.)

Cooking spray


Beat  the eggs in a small mixing bowl. (Since I was making a half recipe, I only had one egg.)




Mash the banana in a small flat bowl.








Add the banana to the eggs.








Add vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk well.







Heat skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.






Pour enough to make a "cake" about 3 inches in diameter (no more than 4 inches for sure).




Cook until the edges are cooked. (Depends on how hot your skillet is as to the length of time this will take...1 - 2 minutes)


Flip and cook on the other side about a minute.







I  sifted a small amount of powdered sugar on mine before adding my sugar-free syrup. (I know that sounds crazy to use the sugar free syrup, but there wasn't much powdered sugar on them.  You can see in the picture above the recipe.)

When I made some for my husband, I used 1/2 cup of the liquid eggs for the recipe.




Here are my cute little measuring spoons for a "dash" and a "pinch". I also have one for a "smidgen".  



My husband added a turkey sausage to his breakfast and some less-sugar strawberry jam I made.


Now we are off to the gym.  Happy Weekend. See you Monday, if we can dig out of all the snow we are supposed to get tonight and tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Found this website and just made the banana cakes AND had to make a second batch they were so delicious, Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to My Patchwork Life! Glad you liked the banana cakes. I thought they were fabulous too. Hope you will check out some of my other posts.

      Delete