Tuesday, February 26, 2013

SUGAR FREE - LOW FAT FUDGE BROWNIES

Update:I wrote this post several days ago to publish later.Today we got at least 7 more inches on top of what we got last week.(trying to make up for the little snow we got last winter and so far this winter.)  


It looks like a winter wonderland.(A lot of the snow in this tree has fallen off since I took this picture early this am. Fortunately we didn't have any damage to any of our trees.




























We got smart this time though. We parked our two cars out in the drive way close to the street so there wouldn't be as much to shovel. My husband got to visit with neighbors as he shoveled this afternoon. I made some blueberry cranberry muffins that I will be sharing later. Hope you will try my reduced calorie brownies that I made last week. They really are good. Patricia


Last Thursday Kansas City received 10 inches of snow. It was a record for a one-day snow storm for the city.

Thursday morning while it was near blizzard conditions, we called and scheduled to have the snow removed from the drive-way when it quit snowing. First thing Friday morning we called again to make sure he was coming out that day. He gave us the bad news -- his snow blower wasn't working, but he was going to try to find another one. He said he would call us back in thirty minutes.

When we didn't hear from him, I called Janice to see if her grandson Trey was out working in her neighborhood clearing driveways. She said yes and gave me his phone number. Trey said he could come. Yea!! We would be able to get out of our driveway.

I immediately decided I would make Trey a batch of brownies to give him (in addition to the $ we would be paying him for the job). I found a recipe in the Eat What You Love! cookbook for low-fat fudge brownies and decided to try it. Stacey, the author, had written under the title, "This was the first recipe I ever prepared on television--back in 1993!  It was a hit then, and continues to be a hit today."

That convinced me I should give it a try. She used a regular box of fudge brownie mix. I didn't have one, but I did have a sugar-free one. So I have changed the title of the recipe to include "Sugar-Free." You can chose to use a regular or sugar free fudge brownie mix.


SUGAR-FREE - LOW FAT FUDGE BROWNIES

1    box sugar-free fudge brownie mix
2    egg whites
1/3  cup plain yogurt or unsweetened applesauce(I used the applesauce)
1    teaspoon vanilla extract
1    teaspoon butter extract
3    tablespoons water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray bottom of an 8 - inch pan with cooking spray.


Empty brownie mix into large bowl; stir in remaining ingredients.  








Stir with (wooden) spoon until well blended, about 50 strokes.


Spread batter into pan.

Bake in center of oven about 25 minutes.  Do not overbake.


Cool completely before cutting.











I decided to cut away the outer edge -- it looked like it was going to be hard, but it wasn't and tasted very good.Since I planned to give the brownies to Trey as a treat, I decided to eat the crusty edge.That's why I know it tasted good even though it looked like it was overdone.


The brownies had cooled and I had cut them, when Trey called and said he wasn't going to get to come over afterall as his snow blower had quit and he didn't know what was wrong with it. Too bad.(I think so many people had trouble with their snow blowers because the snow was so deep, it was too hard on the motors.)

My husband ended up going out and shoveling the driveway so we could get the Jeep out and I took the brownies to my son Patrick when we went to Tyler's first birthday party. Brownies just happen to be Patrick's favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment