Tuesday, August 30, 2016

CHICKEN CHOWDER

I don't think I have ever made a chowder before. I make soup, but it is usually a vegetable beef (that contains everything but the kitchen sink - no exact recipe) or a chicken/turkey noodle soup. My husband loves clam chowder and will usually get at least a cup of it, if it is on the menu. Thinking about it, I don't think I have ever even eaten a chowder before. 

This recipe from Ella Miller from Fresno, OH is in Wanda E. Brunstetter's The Best of Amish Friends Cookbook Collection cookbook I have. On the next page is a Hearty Chicken 'n' Rice Soup from Judith Martin of Millmont, PA. I am going to be trying that one probably next week. There is a picture of it and it looks good.

I thought the chowder was really good. My husband who likes spicy food wanted to add some seasonings to it, but he didn't. He said it was a good chowder to start with.



CHICKEN CHOWDER

2         tablespoons butter
1/4      cup chopped onion
1-1/2   cups chopped cooked chicken (I used the whole chicken breast which meant I had a little bit more than that.)
1-1/2   cups diced carrots
1-1/2   cups diced raw potatoes
2         chicken bouillon cubes
1          teaspoon salt
1/8      teaspoon pepper
2         cups water
3         tablespoons flour
2-1/2  cups milk


Melt butter in 3 - quart saucepan. Add onions and saute until tender. Add chicken, carrots, potatoes, bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, and water.
Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender.
Combine flour and 1/2 cup of milk in a jar or container with a top so you can shake it until blended.
Add to vegetables along with remaining 2 cups milk.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,
until mixture thickens.



Serve warm. Liquid will thicken more as it cools a little.




To print this recipe, there should  be a print icon at the bottom of this post. If you do not see it, scroll up and click on the title of the post. You will be taken to just the one post and the print icon will be the first icon on the bar. When the print window opens, you will have the option to remove the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment