Friday, October 17, 2014

CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE

The other day when I shared those awesome Zucchini Muffins, Friend Lynn, told me about a really good recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Cake that she had from Sunset magazine.  I immediately asked her if she would send me the recipe to share with you.  I needed something to take to the dentist office on Wednesday when I had an appointment to get two new crowns and thought this sounded perfect.  Remember I took them a loaf of  Banana 3 - Way Batter when I got my teeth cleaned.

Since my appointment was at 10:00, I made the cake the night before.  I wasn't sure if my one zucchini would be enough to make the two cups, so we stopped by the grocery store and my husband went in to buy me another one.  After we got home and I was getting ready to grate the zucchini, I realized I didn't have enough stick margarine. Soooooo, you guessed it. My considerate husband said he would go back to the store and get me some. (Turns out the zucchini I had actually produced more than two cups - but I didn't tell him.)

As soon as I walked in Linda, the hygienist and Dee, the receptionist saw my foil-covered plate. They both cheered with glee.  Dee quickly removed the foil to see the cake (I had told her the day before when she called to remind me of my appointment what I was going to bring.) and Linda immediately pinched off a piece of one of the slices. There was no doubt that they didn't think the cake was delicious. Dr. G. and Sandy, his assistant, didn't get to try it out before I left, but they were very appreciative.  Dee told me they would have to think of reasons for me to come in more often. I do enjoy sharing my recipes with people who make me feel so special.




CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE

2 - 1/2   cups flour, unsifted
1/2         cup cocoa
2 - 1/2   teaspoon baking powder
1 - 1/2    teaspoon baking soda
1             teaspoon salt
1             teaspoon cinnamon
3/4        cup soft butter or margarine (1 - 1/2 sticks, room temperature)
2           cups sugar (I used 1 cup sugar/stevia blend)
3           eggs
2           teaspoons vanilla
2           teaspoons grated orange peel
2           cups grated zucchini
1/2        cup milk
1            cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour a tube pan.


Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.


Cream the margarine and sugar until smooth.


Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.


With a spoon stir in vanilla, orange peel, and zucchini.









Alternately stir in dry ingredients and milk into the mixture, including the nuts in the last addition ( dry ingredients). Doing this will keep the nuts distributed throughout the cake as it bake. TIP!! Always start and end with the dry ingredients.  3 times dry ingredients and 2 times wet ingredients works perfectly.


Pour batter into pan.


Bake for 50 - 60 minutes. Check doneness with a toothpick. When inserted in the center of the cake, if done, the toothpick will come out clean.

Cool 15 minutes on wire rack.


Remove and continue to cool while you prepare the glaze.










POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE

2       cups powdered sugar, sifted
3       tablespoons milk
1       teaspoon vanilla


In a small to medium size bowl, combine all three ingredients and stir til smooth.






Drizzle over the cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment