Monday, August 7, 2023

STRAWBERRY BARS

 I have been eyeing a recipe for Strawberry Bars for several weeks but just haven't gotten around to making them. I have so many recipes that I want to try. I will never get caught up because I keep finding more every day that I want to make.

Anyway, Cafe Treats Baker Sharon signed up recently to make Strawberry Bars for this past Sunday. I could hardly wait for Sunday to come to taste one. I have to admit any time I look at a recipe, I am looking to see if I can tweet it to make it sugar-free or at least have less sugar. The one I have been wanting to make uses strawberry jam which means I could still make it sugar-free. I just have to buy some sugar-free strawberry jam, which I can do; it just costs more money.

Sharon's recipe has a homemade strawberry filling using fresh strawberries which excites me because I could make it and just substitute stevia for the 1/2 cup of sugar. I could even try to make it gluten-free if I just used some gluten-free "flour".

Anyway, Sharon's Strawberry Bars were so delicious. I did manage to eat one, but only because I snuck it before they were all gone. AND I'm so glad I did.

Trust me! These are definitely a winner and a must-have recipe!



PRINT RECIPE.

STRAWBERRY BARS

****

Crumble mixture:

1/2     cup packed brown sugar

1/2     cup granulated sugar

1        teaspoon baking powder

3        cups flour

1/4     teaspoon salt

1        cup butter, chilled (thinly sliced - see personal note)

1        egg


****

Strawberry filling:

4       cups strawberries, sliced

1/2    cup granulated sugar

1       lemon, juiced and zested

4       teaspoon cornstarch


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix together the sugars, flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk.

Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. (Personal note: if you thinly slice the chilled butter first, this will be easier to do.)

Dough will be crumbly.

Press half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 - inch pan. Set aside the remaining mixture.

In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, cornstarch, lemon zest, and juice. Gently mix to coat.

Pour the strawberry mixture over the crust.

Sprinkle the rest of the crumb mixture on top.

Bake for 45 minutes or until the topping turns lightly golden brown.

Cool completely before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment