Friday, August 25, 2023

OATS N' BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

 

In yesterday's post I shared about making some Oats N' Blueberry Mini-Muffins to take to my dentist and his staff when I went to have my teeth cleaned yesterday morning. I have been doing this for several years - making something to share with them. I told them I wanted to make sure they didn't hurt me. I have always been afraid when I went to the dentist and I started going when I was four. 

The recipe makes 12 muffins, but I decided to make mini-muffins. That way I could take plenty and still have a few to keep at home. I ended up making about 32 mini-muffins.

I also played with the recipe to make them no-sugar-added by using truvia brown sugar complete. Oats are naturally gluten-free but you don't know if they were processed in a facility that also processed products with gluten. One of the dental hygienist said she could probably eat them since it wouldn't have much gluten if there was any. I'm going to check the next time I go to the store for oats that say they are gluten-free or doesn't say they were processed in a facility that processed nuts or gluten products. Then I can mince it in my blender and make gluten-free oat "flour". 

I have had the recipe for a long time and I'm so glad I took notice of it Tuesday night and then made it Wednesday morning.

PRINT RECIPE.



OATS N' BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

2-1/2    cups quick or old fashioned oats, uncooked

1/2       cup firmly packed brown sugar (I used truvia brown sugar complete)

2          teaspoons baking powder

1/2       teaspoon salt (optional) (I did omit)

1/2       teaspoon cinnamon

1          cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen wild blueberries)

2/3       cup skim milk

3          tablespoons oil

2          egg whites


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin or mini-muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.


Place oats in a blender container or food processer bowl; cover.

Blend or process (mince) about 1 minutes, stopping occasionally to stir.


Combine the ground oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt - if using, and cinnamon.


In a medium bowl, place the milk, oil, and egg whites and

whisk to beat the egg whites. 


Add the blueberries to the mixture and

then pour in the bowl with the dry ingredients.

Mix just until moistened. 


Fill muffin cups almost full. I used a tablespoon scoop and a mini-muffin tin. 


Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until deep golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment