Monday, August 28, 2023

GRANDMA POWELL'S OATMEAL COOKIES

 


Some of my family might think this is a recipe from some of my cousins whose paternal grandmother was a Powell and are wondering how I got one of her recipes. Well, this Grandma Powell was not "Mama Powell" but apparently was Rosalie Powell's grandma since the recipe was contributed by her for The Good Cooks' Cook Book from the Park Hill Association of Educational Office Personnel. I admit I was intrigued by the title and so I stopped to check it out.

I was looking for a recipe that I could make sugar-free for the Cafe Treats and this one was perfect for that since the sugar amounts were so small. I don't think I added no-sugar-added chocolate chips because I didn't have any. I just told people that they were sugar-free except for the dark chocolate chips.

I didn't think the cookies would spread since they were made with shortening instead of butter, I did flatten them with my fingers so they would look a little bigger. Cookies that contain chocolate chips don't usually flatten very nicely though. I think the next time I just want to make a few cookies, I will use mini-chocolate chips. The cookies will look a little bit better. 

If you want to make more cookies, just double the ingredients. My friend Anita told me recently that she didn't bother with a recipe if it didn't make at least 3 dozen cookies. I don't mind because then I don't have so many in my cookie jar and I can have a variety.

PRINT RECIPE.



GRANDMA POWELL'S OATMEAL COOKIES

1/4     cup brown sugar

1/4     cup white sugar

1/2     cup shortening

1        egg

2        tablespoons milk

2        cups oats

1        cup flour

1/2     teaspoon salt

1        teaspoon cinnamon

1/4     teaspoon nutmeg

6        oz (1 cup) chocolate chips

1/2     cup nuts (optional)



Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or line with parchment paper two cookie sheets. Set aside.


Cream together the sugars, shortening, and egg. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.


Combine all of the dry ingredients in another bowl.


Add the chocolate chips.

Gradually add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture

along with the milk.


Using a tablespoon cookie scoop, drop dough 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. 


Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until done.

Cool briefly before removing the cookies to a wire rack to cool.











No comments:

Post a Comment