Thursday, August 24, 2023

KAREN'S LEMON MELTAWAY COOKIES

 

Looks like August in the midwest and the central United States is showing everyone what what feels like. It is so hot here in Kansas City this week that the feel-like temperatures are as high as 122 degrees F. It is so hot that it is difficult just walking around outside.

But as is normal for here, we just wait a few days or a week in this case, the temperatures are supposed to drop to more seasonal 80s. I for one can hardly wait. It doesn't take doing much to feel tired and then wanting to take a nap.

I woke up this morning and went about making some Oats N Blueberry muffins to take with me to my dental appointment/cleaning before the kitchen heated up too much. I always take something for my dentist and his staff so they will be good to me and not hurt me. lol. They never have of course but I tell them that's why I do it. I really just like treating them. I plan to share that recipe tomorrow. Another good find. 

After getting my teeth cleaned, I did finish reading a book by G.M. Malliet today called Death of a Cozy Writer. Wayne and I love watching the shows from Acorn and Britbox so when I saw this author on a post on Facebook, I investigated her online from the Mid-Continent Library and checked out her first book in her A St. Just Mystery series. It took a while being introduced to all of the characters in the book, but finally there was a murder and so DCI St. Just finally entered the scene. I wonder why no one has made a series taken from her books yet. Anyway, I have requested the next one in the series but will have to wait for it to be transferred to our nearby branch of the library.

I also managed to share this delightful recipe for one of the Cafe Treats Bakers Karen for Lemon Meltaway Cookies. So maybe I am getting more done in spite of the heat afterall.

These cookies were so good. They sorta tasted like a sugar cookie with a lemon glaze on top. Let me know if you decide to try them, what you think.


PRINT RECIPE.



LEMON MELTAWAY COOKIES

1     cup softened butter

3/4  cup sugar

1     large egg

1     lemon - zest of

2     cups flour

1/2  teaspoon baking powder

1/2  teaspoon salt


Glaze -

1-1/2  cups powdered sugar

2        tablespoons lemon juice

1        tablespoon milk or heavy cream

1/8     teaspoon salt


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar together. Mix in the egg until well blended. Stir in the lemon zest.

Combine 1/2 cup of the flour with the baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture and stir until combined.

Continue adding the flour by a 1/2 cup measure; mixing until all 2 cups of he flour has been completed combined.

Use a small cookie scoop (1 tablespoon size) to measure the dough. Roll the scoop into a ball and place on cookie sheet and slightly flatten with your palm. 

Bake for 8 to 9 minutes or until the center is just set - cookies will remain light in color and will not get brown. Let them rest for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling wrap.

Make the icing/glaze by whisking the powdered sugar with the lemon juice and cream or milk until smooth.

Once the cookies are cooled dip the top in the glaze by turning them upside down and gently lifting out. (Place the glaze in the flatter dish like a pie plate.) Turn the cookies over and put back on the cooling rack or parchment paper. 

Notes:

When cooled, cookies can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 3 - 5 days. 

Dough can be made ahead of time - 1 to 2 days before making cookies - and stored covered in the refrigerator. If dough is cold , it might take a minute or longer to bake.




No comments:

Post a Comment