Monday, November 4, 2019

FUN TIME WITH THE GRANDKIDS

When we moved here 11 years ago, we had the choice of here in Kansas City or in Colorado Springs. Why those two cities, you might ask? That's where our sons had chosen to settle, of course. 

After much thought, Wayne chose Kansas City. At the time we had three grandchildren all in CO. The first couple of years we managed to travel all the way across Kansas and half way across Colorado about four times a year - about a 9-hr drive. We now have five grandchildren in CO and two here in MO. We aren't making as many trips on the average to CO now, but thankfully texting keeps us in touch. Looking forward to our post Christmas trip already. 

You might think being about twenty minutes from our MO family that we would see our two grandchildren here often - at least once a week. But sad to say that isn't the case. It's understandable when you consider how busy their parents are during the week and on the weekends. I try to not be pushy, but trust me, I am excited every time we can manage to get together. This weekend was one such occasion.

The Kansas City Chiefs' professional football team was playing in town yesterday and Lori, our DIL, bought tickets for her and our son Patrick to go to the game. They were riding with a family friend of Lori's and he wanted to be at the stadium at 7 a.m. when the gates open which meant he was leaving his house at 6. That meant I was going to have to pick up the grandkids really early so I asked if they could just have a sleepover. They have only had one and have been asking when they could stay with us again. Lori said they would bring them over after dinner Saturday night.

Well, "after dinner" was much later than we thought because Lori and Tyler had a Mother/Son Dance to go to. (Didn't I tell you they were busy?!) It was after 9:30 before they arrived.

Tyler immediately went to the living room where the toys are stored to find the "new" cars I had gotten him at the thrift shop. (He doesn't forget a thing and has been waiting to play with these two cars for weeks. I didn't take them to his house when we went to see them there which disappointed him terribly.) Madison started reading to me from her latest Dork Diary book. 


I had planned to make the Gluten-Free French Toast that I shared recently with you that my cousin Tom's wife, Marilyn, had made and served us at our recent visit. Of course, Madison asked if she could help. We used cinnamon raisin bread so our overnight French toast was not gluten free.



As soon as we finished, I got busy "preparing" their beds. They had already decided they wanted to sleep in the same places where they slept the last time - Madison with me, Tyler in the guest room, and then Grandad downstairs in the family room.


Tyler's bed... with a few toys...



And then Madison's half of my bed...


Madison decided she wanted to be in the picture...

























Sunday morning was the time we turned our clocks back to end Daylight Savings Time. It was almost 11 o'clock DST when they both got to bed. I think they both were asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillows. I wasn't sleepy because I had fallen asleep earlier in the afternoon for at least an hour, but since my husband couldn't even stay awake to watch golf on TV, I decided I would go to bed also. I reset all of the clocks so they would be correct when we woke up and went to bed - wide awake. It was after 1 before I finally fell asleep. 

Everyone talks about getting an extra hour of sleep in the fall when we set our clock back an hour and how great that is. Well, children don't operate that way. Less than six hours after I finally fell asleep, Madison was telling me how pretty it was seeing the sunlight out the window. It wasn't even 7:00 a.m. CST. Not too much later the door to the guest bedroom was opened and Tyler was heading to the bathroom. He came back with a bag of cars and this is what my bed looked like...



and once again Madison was reading a story to me...



(We had the TV on to see if we might see their parents at the stadium by the news people. They are always there to talk to the tailgaters who gather early before every home game.)

I had the French toast in the oven baking and when the timer went off saying it was done, we all got up and I went to cook the bacon and Madison set the table. Tyler played.




I had finished my two pieces ...  




and 


Grandad finally arrived...




Tyler cleaned the table and then they both settled down to playing while I got ready for church...




Then at church... They ended up going to Sunday school for a bit while I prepared the table for communion. Madison said her teacher was really nice. We had to search around for Tyler. Not sure what happened, but he ended up in the wrong room but I found him having a good time playing with the toys. We had a good laugh about that. When we walked out, he looked at me and asked, "I was in the wrong room?" 👱


After lunch and watching the last half of the Chiefs' football game (yes, they won at the last second with a field goal), Madison and I worked a little with her multiplication tables and looking at patterns that they formed, we moved to my sewing room so I could start teaching her to sew. I told her my grandmother had taught me to sew so I thought it was appropriate that I should teach one of my granddaughters. 

I don't really remember how my grandmother taught me to sew in a straight line, but I used lined paper and had her sew on the lines. After a few attempts, I decided to have her use the edge of the "foot" which measures 1/4 inch and sew 1/4 inch from the line. That was easier for her to do. 


After a while, I gave her two squares for her to sew together so she could see why it was important for her to be able to sew a straight line. She was so excited when she sewed three squares together to make a strip. She ended up making two 3-square-strips.





Tyler had taken a walk with his granddad while we were sewing. Seeing they were both getting tired ... it had been a full day ... we retired to the back porch to watch a little PBS Kids...



and before we knew it their folks were coming in the door and it was time for them to go home...the dog had been in for a long time and was surely ready to be let out. I'm already counting the days until the next time we can get together. I told Madison, I would teach her to make a nine-patch block. We can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment