Friday, November 22, 2019

AMISH PUMPKIN COOKIES

The temperature was pleasant yesterday, but the sun wasn't shining. If the sun is shining, everything seems so much brighter. Anyway, it was a perfect day to spend the afternoon inside playing canasta with my quilting friends. Friend Fran was the hostess so I made the dessert. I had several recipes I wanted to make, but decided these Pumpkin Cookies would work perfectly with the sandwiches Fran was serving for lunch.

Mrs. Milo Miller from Indiana contributed her recipe in a cookbook called Art of Amish Cooking compiled by Alma Hersheberger from Danville, Ohio from the mid 1980s. One of the reasons I chose the recipe was that besides having pumpkin in them, they also had dates. I LOVE dates and will make just about any recipe I see that contains them.

I followed Mrs. Miller's recipe except that I substituted a stevia blend for the sugar. That way I had the sweetness, but using 1/2 cup of stevia instead of 1 cup of sugar. They are delicious!

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


AMISH PUMPKIN COOKIES

1       cup sugar or 1/2 cup stevia blend
1/2    cup shortening
1       cup pumpkin
1       teaspoon vanilla
2       cups flour
1/2    teaspoon salt
1       teaspoon cinnamon
1       teaspoon baking soda
1       teaspoon baking powder
1       cup chopped dates
1/2    cup chopped nuts

ORANGE ICING:

2       cups powdered sugar
1       tablespoon butter, at room temperature
Enough orange juice to moisten for spreading consistency

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Cream shortening and sugar until smooth.
Add pumpkin and stir til smooth.

Add dry ingredients in a bowl and stir with a whisk to blend together.





Add dates and nuts.
Stir to distribute evenly.

Drop by spoon on cookie sheet. I used my cookie scoop that holds 1 tablespoon.

Bake for 10 minutes.

Remove cookies from cookie sheet to a wire rack to cool.

Prepare Orange Icing by sifting the powdered sugar into a bowl. Add butter and beat til butter is broken up.
Add orange juice a little at a time, stirring to desired consistency
to spread over slightly cooled cookies.













Makes about 4 dozen cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment