Wednesday, November 6, 2019

APPLE CIDER COOKIES

It's that time of the year again when I have my 6 - month -cleaning at the dentist. It's not one of my favorite things to do and they know it. Everyone there is no nice to me. A couple of years ago I decided I should make something to share with them when I go. I told them it was a bribe so they wouldn't hurt me. 😉 They never have, but I like to kid them. 

I made these Apple Cider Cookies from Betty Crocker for us on Monday. I made a pan and then froze the rest to make as I wanted. Last night I decided I would make a pan (12 cookies) to take to them. 

The recipe called for a package  (0.74 oz) apple cider instant drink mix. You were to hold out 1 teaspoonful to add to the sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon.  I had bought a box of them last week so that when I got around to making them, I would have all of the ingredients. The only thing was the box I bought was sugar-free. You don't realize how much sugar is in something until you buy sugar-free. There was only about 1/2 tablespoon drink mix in the packet. So I decided to just use the whole packet in the cookie dough. I also added all of the cinnamon called for in the recipe to the cookie dough and then just added more cinnamon in the sugar to roll the cookies in.

For them, I took out 12 frozen cookie dough balls and placed them on the cookie sheet while the oven was preheating. Before putting them in the oven, I rolled them in the cinnamon sugar. They had thawed enough for the cinnamon sugar to stick to the balls.



APPLE CIDER COOKIES

2        tablespoons sugar
1        package (0.74 oz) apple cider instant drink mix (do not prepare (If you use sugar-free drink mix, the packet will not be that large.)
1-1/2  teaspoons ground cinnamon
1        pouch (17.5 oz) sugar cookie mix
1/2     cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1        egg
3/4     cup finely chopped peeled apple (1 medium)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


In a small bowl, mix sugar, 1 teaspoon of the apple cider drink mix (optional - see above), and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon; set aside. 
In a large mixing bowl, stir the cookie mix, softened butter, egg, remaining apple cider drink mix (if you are using a sugar-free drink mix, use the whole packet), and cinnamon with a spoon until soft dough forms. 
I used a wooden spoon and mixed everything but the egg first.
Then I added the egg. 
I used the spoon and
then changed to using my hand.
Make sure all dry mix is moistened.



Stir in apple pieces until
combined throughout.


Shape dough into balls using a cookie scoop to measure the dough.
Roll the balls in sugar-spice mixture.
Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Discard sugar-spice mixture after rolling balls.


Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are set and light golden brown.
Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet before removing to wire rack. Cool completely, about 20 minutes. Store in covered airtight container.


If you don't want to bake all at once, place cookie sheet with rolled balls on it in freezer.
After frozen, place in a freezer container with wax paper between layers.
Take out the number you wish to bake and place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Preheat oven to 375. Roll each ball in a cinnamon/sugar mixture and bake for 9 minutes or until edges are set and light golden brown. Continue as directed above.







And they are ready for Dr G and his staff...



BTW, they loved the cookies and I got a good report.

No comments:

Post a Comment