Friday, November 8, 2019

DATE NUT TORTE

Yesterday I hosted our Quilters' Canasta group. I made individual hand-held pot pies that were a little messy to make, but tasted so good. I will be sharing that recipe with you next week. During the card game after we had eaten them, I got to thinking about how I could edit the recipe to make a pot pie. I am definitely going to give it a try. I'll tell you more about it next week. Hope you will come back and see it. 

For now though I am eagerly sharing the dessert I served. It was so easy. I prepared and measured out the ingredients while the pot pies were baking so about mid-afternoon while the cards were being shuffled and being dealt out, I quickly mixed up the ingredients and had the torte in the oven baking when I was told it was my turn to play.

Date Nut Torte was a recipe in my recently acquired cookbook called Jesse James Cookbook. I love any thing made with dates and thought it might be a nice change from pumpkin since I have been making so much lately using it. It said to serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. I had both, but thought I would add the ice cream.

Two changes I will make the next time I make it are : 1) use whole wheat bread to make the bread crumbs and 2) substitute either 1 cup stevia for the cup of sugar or use 1/2 cup stevia blend. The dates are sweet enough so I don't think I will miss the real thing. 

Click here for a printable copy of just the recipe.


DATE NUT TORTE

4     eggs beaten
1     cup sugar
1     cup bread crumbs
1     teaspoon baking powder
1     cup chopped dates
1     cup walnuts, chopped
whipped cream or ice cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 - inch square pan. Set aside.

Beat eggs with a whisk and add to sugar in large mixing bowl.
Mix the baking powder with the bread crumbs with a fork. (I made my own bread crumbs using about 2-1/2 pieces of bread. I removed the crust and using a blender, I processed 1 slice at a time until crumbs were formed.)

Add crumbs to egg/sugar mixture. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
Add the dates and nuts;
stir well. 


Pour into pan and spread out evenly.
Bake 35 minutes.
Cool and cut into squares and garnish with whipped cream or ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment