Monday, November 11, 2019

CREAM CHEESE COFFEE CAKE

Well, I finally got around to making the Cream Cheese Coffee Cake again. You might remember my mentioning it in a previous post. I saw the recipe and thought it would be a good one to make and take to the volunteers at the thrift shop. It wasn't until I was clearing off a space to put the cooling rack just before taking it out of the oven, when I saw an ingredient in a measuring cup and realized it was the sugar that I had forgotten to add to the ingredients. 

Wayne thought I should go on and take it (maybe add a little whipped topping) because they would eat anything. They might not think it was my best, but they would eat it. Seriously???? 

He told me again the next morning before I left that he thought I should take it .... I didn't say anything and left a few minutes later.

The first thing he said to me when I got home after my shift at the register was that I hadn't taken the cake. I just said, "Yes." Well, he ended up eating the whole cake. He just proved he will eat anything. He said it wasn't bad, not real sweet, but okay.

It took me a while to get to the grocery store to buy some cream cheese but last Monday I made the cake and took it to the volunteers last Tuesday. It looked quite different from the first one I made...about twice as tall. BTW Wayne liked it also, but he only got his one usual serving.

Click here for a printable copy of just the recipe.



CREAM CHEESE COFFEE CAKE

1/2       cup (1 stick) butter, softened or at room temperature
1          (8 - ounce) package cream cheese softened (I did use 1/3 less fat cream cheese at room temperature)
1-1/3    cup sugar
2          large eggs
2          cups flour
2          teaspoons baking powder
1/2       teaspoon baking soda
1/2       teaspoon salt
1/2       cup milk
1          teaspoon vanilla extract
Topping

1/2       cup flour
1/2       teaspoon packed light brown sugar
1/2       cup chopped pecans
1/4       cup (1/2 a stick) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.

Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. (I just beat it until I had measured out the dry ingredients.)
Gradually add sugar, beating well.
Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.


Combine the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt with a whisk. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
Mix at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.

Combine the ingredients for the topping (dry ingredients together first with a fork and
then add butter.)
Mix with fork until butter has wet all of the dry ingredients.


Pour batter into pan and then
crumble topping over the top.
Bake for 40 minutes or until cake test done.
Cool in pan on wire rack.
Cut into squares to serve. I made mine the day before I served it. I covered the pan and stored it in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment