Friday, May 31, 2019

EASY MOZZARELLA CUTLETS

When I saw this recipe for Mozzarella Cutlets in my 1001 Community Recipes, Easy Everyday Favorites cookbook I had ever intention of following the recipe and using chicken breast halves and flattening them. Every time I intended to make them, something came up and I postponed it. 

Then one day, I got to thinking (I know, that could be dangerous!) about making the recipe truly easy. (The cookbook is called Easy Everyday Favorites.) A couple of weeks ago I bought a package of frozen breaded chicken tenderloins. I really thought they were going to be chicken strips, but when I opened the package to cut two for us one night, we saw they were larger fillets. I baked them as directed on the package and we ate them as a fried chicken sandwich. I decided I would make it easy and just use two of the tenderloins and save beating and coating two chicken breast halves as the recipe directed.

Well, it worked out great. The chicken was so moist and tender and the breading wasn't crispy. I'm sure the recipe would taste just as great if you used chicken breast halves, but if you want to take the easy way out, use frozen breaded chicken fillets. The good thing is you can easily prepare it for just one or two people instead of four as the recipes states.

If you want to print the recipe, scroll down to the bottom of the post and use the print icon on the left. You will have to option to omit the pictures if you like.


MOZZARELLA CUTLETS

Boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, fresh or frozen breaded chicken fillets
1     cup Italian seasoned dry breadcrumbs, if using fresh chicken 
1/4  cup prepared spaghetti sauce for each breast half
1     slice mozzarella cheese for each breast half

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking dish big enough for the chicken halves.

















If using fresh chicken, pound each chicken breast to flatten slightly. Coat chicken well in breadcrumbs. Arrange chicken breasts in dish.

Place 1/4 cup of sauce over each chicken breast.

Place one slice of cheese over each and garnish with remaining breadcrumbs.
(I just sprinkled some Italian breadcrumbs over the top of the cheese.)

Bake for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment