Tuesday, May 14, 2019

AMISH O HENRY BARS

I could have so easily eaten a second one of these bars, but I only left two at the house and one of those was for my husband, Wayne. When my shift was over and I went by the Community Room at the thrift shop to get my pan, it was completely empty with not even a crumb left. 

Jim Walter certainly knew which recipe to contribute to the Hochstedler Family Cookbook, A Collection of Edible Treasures from the family of Emanuel and Mattie Hochstedler. Mr. Hochstedler was Bishop of the Rich Valley Mennonite Church in Kokomo, Indiana. My copy of the cookbook that I got at an estate sale is signed by their great granddaughter, Shileen Hochstedler.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


O HENRY BARS

2/3     cup butter
1        cup brown sugar
1/2     cup white or dark corn syrup
4        cups quick oats
3        teaspoons vanilla
1        6 oz (1 cup) chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet chips)
2/3     cup peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.


Combine butter and brown sugar in mixing bowl;
beat til smooth.
Add corn syrup, oats, and vanilla.
Beat til smooth. 
Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl.
Pat dough in pan.
I always leave a little in the bowl to fill in the "holes".
Bake 15 minutes ONLY.
While bars are baking, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter in small saucepan over low heat;
stir til smooth. Spread on baked dough after cooling slightly (I waited 5 minutes.).
Cut into bars. (I cut 24 bars.) When ready to serve recut along previously cut lines.





4 comments:

  1. I have been making these for 4-5 years. My son-in-law and daughter-in-law fight over them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, Wish I had found the recipe 4 or 5 years ago. lol The recipe is definitely a keeper. Patricia

      Delete
  2. Similar to the version I have, only, you cook the oats,karo and pb in the microwave a couple of minutes, add the sugar and do another minute, the pour into pan-so easy and you don't heat up the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, Then do you not have peanut butter with the chocolate topping? Patricia

      Delete